Tried fishing with a cheap whip....and it works well

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Hi All, after chatting to others I meet while fishing I thought I would give coarse fishing using a whip rod a go. I usually fish with a match rod and reel, so this is a bit of a departure. Also my missus pointed out that Argos sell 'Matt Hayes' branded fishing gear now for what seems like almost reasonable prices. I went ahead a bought a 'Junior Pole Fishing Set' from Argos for the princely sum of £15.99:

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/1434163
http://www.argos.co.uk/product/1434163
As can be seen in the product description the kit includes most that you might need to have a go. For my use however the supplied rigs (2 of) use heavy line, heavy floats and much too large hooks - number 8s - to be what could be considered 'balanced tackle' for a light rod. The original rigs could possibly be handy for margin carp fishing but even then perhaps only where you can see the fish.

The rod itself is a 4-secton, 4 metre, telescopic fibreglass tube with single eye at the light end. The rig is then tied into the eye and away you go, adjusting as necessary. The kit even includes some rubber imitation sweetcorn and maggots, but I think they smell, and presumably taste, much too rubbery.

I replaced the rigs with my own, made from lighter lines, homemade floats (more of those later) and smaller hooks - size 16 and 18.

Used with maggots as hookbait, in my new very local location, this kit has proven fairly efficient (!), as I have pulled in around 40 fish per session. Only small fish with a maximum of around a half pound in size, but it has proven to be great sport.

So, for the outlay, its been a very worthwhile investment :)

Cheers, Bob

Reactions: Kepis

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I love fishing the whip, so easy and great fun, i use them from little 2m snatchers to 10m jobs on the river, i had this little lot below on a 3m whip a couple of years back, hoping ot be well enough to get back up for a fish again this spring

DSCN1670 by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Heh heh....tench is still on 'to catch' list....maybe this year!

See my other post, hopefully i will be fit enough to get back up for a fish this year, if i am come down and fish my lakes, they are private, but if you are with me there wont be any problems :), ive put in 1000 tench in the pond these came from, but we have Tench in all the ponds, best one last season was just over 7lb.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE