triad stove

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
anyone got one of these? and even more importantly has said person got a volcano stove also because i was wondering if this burner is small enough to put in the whole and/or fill without trying to drop a burner into the stove?

just a thought before i decide i need to buy stove number 9 :-D

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I had one a couple of years ago and thought it was pretty carp to be honest, I ended up swapping it for the Tatonka but that's a very different stove and probably won't fit in the volcano.
I didn't give mine much of a chance to be fair though, it was my first venture into meths burners and I didn't have the patience for priming etc.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i can see ill be having to buy one lol wife will kill me if she sees another stove coming in the house ill get it delivered to work like the idea of putting a hexi block on it too if it fits it could be a winner for the volcano

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
SimonM did a good test with a few burners and I'm sure the Triad was one of them, might be worth a search mate.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
I've got the one with the separate meths unit so you can use it for hexi too. The meths burner is only 2" in diameter and an inch high.

Edit - just been having a look around for a picture and all the ones I've seen so far are much bigger than the one I've got, they must have changed them, so my dimensions probably aren't the same as what you can but now.

Last edited:

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
I have one of those and it's rubbish. It's fiddly to fill, easy to blow out (even when it's been going for several minutes), rather slow to boil water, and prone to sudden flare-ups. The flare-ups were the last straw for me - I just don't think it would be safe to use in the vestibule of a tent.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
interesting thoughts dont think it would blow out in the swiss volcano as its shielded would still like to see one inside (pic maybe?) if anyone has both items to get an idea of scale? ideally im looking to fill it with a syringe through the twig hole or similar

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
interesting thoughts dont think it would blow out in the swiss volcano as its shielded would still like to see one inside (pic maybe?) if anyone has both items to get an idea of scale? ideally im looking to fill it with a syringe through the twig hole or similar

As I said, I've got the old small one and a swiss volcano, if I get a minute first thing I'll have a go at gettin a pic mate

mitch66

Nomad
Mar 8, 2010
king's lynn norfolk
hi, i have the volcano and once you pop in the triad in theres a 1/2" gap all the way round with the legs folded under (1/4" gap where the legs are fixed to the side) i find the triad works well, but can be a bit of a pain to fill, i think it works best with a lifeventure titanium cup/mug just nice and small. i can fit it in the cup with all the bits apart from water for 4 cuppers. ps i use the tatonka s/s burner in my volcano. carl

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hi,

The old Triad, at least I think it was called the Triad, with the small separate meths burner.

100_1780.jpg

100_1779.jpg

100_1781.jpg

100_1790.jpg

Meths burner in the Volcano

100_1782.jpg

100_1784.jpg

Base unit in the Volcano (legs need to be set vertically)

100_1785.jpg

100_1787.jpg

Hope that helps

Andy

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
cheers for the pics (most kind to do that) that one fits quite snug it does appear to be different to the one on sale now though but i guess the new one is probably smaller which is better... looks like ill be losing £20 on payday :-D

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Oh does the new one have a smaller base and the same size meths buner?

This one is...

Base - 7cm Diam, 2cm rim height

Meths burner - 5cm Diam, 3cm high

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
Oh does the new one have a smaller base and the same size meths buner?

This one is...

Base - 7cm Diam, 2cm rim height

Meths burner - 5cm Diam, 3cm high

i was trying to swipe the pics off the website but i couldn't the one on the site looks small and also doesn't have a base plate. check out the link the click the gallery it looks a little different to the one you have

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product129.asp?PageID=99

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Yeah, they do a number of different designs, that one where you flip the stove over to use hexi, mine, which I think is the predecessor to this one this one...

http://arequip.com/Vargo-Outdoors-Titanium-Triad-XE-AlcoholFuel/M/B001G5VSRC.htm

...which looks like about the same size base, but with a larger but flatter meths unit. They also do these...

http://www.hike-lite.co.uk/Other/Titanium+products/Decagon+Stove.html

...and probably other variants on the theme. I’m sure they’re all much of a muchness, the only thing I would say about the two piece units is that you effectively have two stoves so you could have, for example, the meths unit in your volcano boiling water and be cooking over hexi on your stove. Having said that though, I would have thought the one piece and the meths unit of the new larger two piece, although the will physically fit in the volcano, probably won’t leave enough room for the flame to properly bloom, as the flame tends to come out sidewise first then curve upwards – not sure if this is an issue, but you might end up melting the base of the stove before your water boils.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i think i might try the one i pictured that can be used with hexamine too heck i have 8 stoves one more wouldnt be noticed would it?

PRKL

Nomad
Jan 27, 2010
Finland
Ive got Triad XE model and i kind of like it due to small space it takes and its ok to me,for boiling few cups of coffee and such,the only thing i could complain is the amount of priming fuel that it needs,and that sometimes the fire wont turn blue at all,except at the end of burn time but this might be due to wrong type of fuel i use..maybe ?since it says taht it needs denatured alcohol and cant find pure fuel of that type,i think :)

Wigate

Forager
Nov 19, 2006
Hong Kong
i have been disappointed by Traid soves- I bought twie and both units had leakage at the seams -rather disappointed since once should be an exception and twice indicates poor quality control.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE