Trevor Ablett 4" Lambfoot/Spear

my 2 arrrived this morning
closerule.jpg

with the lambs foot blade on the 4" reduced to 3" minus a whisker :D :D :D

lambrule.jpg

interestingly the spearpoint blade on the 4" and 3.5" knives is the same blade so the same length

spearrule.jpg

open.jpg

however my hands need the bigger handle the other one is a bit to dainty

closedhand.jpg

still it makes a late Valantines day prezzy

any makers doing a run on belt pouches ;) ;) :D
ATB

Duncan

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Mine turned up this morning too. Very nice. Overall length 3 1/2" with cutting edge 2 1/2". Well it's a cutting edge after a bit of time on the diamond cards and waterstones. I see what you mean Red:) .
I think this little fellow will be living in my pocket for the next 20 years or so.

2008_0222Image0018.jpg

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
Nope - mine is 3 1/2" closed...exactly. Hmmm maybe it was a 3 1/2 "???

Dunno - either way its legal and I love it :)

Red

In that case I believe it's a 3 1/2".

I can fully understand that you love your Trevor Ablett.
One of mine is often coming along in my trousers pockets.
A man without a pocket knife would feel naked, and with Trevors knives I feel very well dressed indeed. :)

/ Karl

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Only thing is I must teach him to put an edge on before he sends em out (its only a quick job to sharpen em up mind you)
Red

OK Red there are plenty owners out there now time for a quick sharpening tutorial? I have just been having a look at mine and reckon the blade is flat ground to somewhere about 15 degrees, now I know the blades are not the hardest because when I was making one up myself we were shaping them with a file so it won't hold a fine edge. I would probably give it a decent secondary bevel at maybe 25-30 (15 each side). I would be interested to know how you sharpen yours.

Interesting looking through all these pictures I wich he took just a little off the end of the spring to bring the blades up a tiny bit higher when open...more in line with the handle Nicola tells me that is just the way he does it and they are all like that. Just my aesthetic taste.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well Robin, looking at Snufkins it looks a lot like mine (except with a load less staining and patina). I just kocked the edge back on a diamond hone then convexed it off on a Hoodoo hone finishing up with pink buffing compound on leather. It ends up with a small convex secondary which I find helpful since they aren't a long way up the rockwell scale as you say. I vastly prefer a scandinavian grind to be zero ground but on a flat grind if the metals not that hard the tiny convex on the secondary seems to work well

I don't think that needs a tutorial (come to that just roll your wrist a bit on a stone and it'll happen naturally)

Red

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I've had my 4" lambsfoot/spearpoint for a few weeks now. It is quite a nice knife, but I'm a little dissapointed with the overall quality. Edge retention is not brilliant and only last night I had one of the rosewood scales come loose and ended up gluing it back on.

I will continue to use this knife, as I like its general look and feel, but I won't be ordering anymore.

You milage may vary.

Dave

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Trevor wholesales them for less than £10, the price of 3 or 4 pints of beer. I have half a dozen and am surprised at the scale coming off, pop it back on and tap the end of the rivets with a ball pein hammer.

Edge retention...well as I have said they are not as hard as some but that is not always a bad thing, the average medieval sword blade was less than 40 rockwell it just means they need different sharpening, give it a 30 degree secondary flat or convex and it will do everything you want from a little folder and hold the edge well enough. The farmer where I have my workshop touches his up with a couple of strokes on an old sandstone mounting block takes seconds and will cut bailstring all day.

I like these things because they are what they are...no bull, no expensive marketing, as Red says just what every boy should have in his pocket. No one will make folders for £8 after Trevor is gone so it will be SAK, Chinese or very expensive. :) Maybe we should look into the possibility of a group buy direct?

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Robin,

I will try a moderate convex as you suggest. It is finding its way into my pocket more and more.
I do understand that the man isn't making a great deal out of these knives, perhaps my expectations were not realistic. As an instrument maker by trade, I can be a bit picky at times! :)

Dave

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Robin, I would be up for a group buy as well.

2 x Double bolster lamb and spear in rosewood 4" please.

If it comes together, that is.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Well Robin, looking at Snufkins it looks a lot like mine (except with a load less staining and patina). I just kocked the edge back on a diamond hone then convexed it off on a Hoodoo hone finishing up with pink buffing compound on leather. It ends up with a small convex secondary which I find helpful since they aren't a long way up the rockwell scale as you say. I vastly prefer a scandinavian grind to be zero ground but on a flat grind if the metals not that hard the tiny convex on the secondary seems to work well

I don't think that needs a tutorial (come to that just roll your wrist a bit on a stone and it'll happen naturally)

Red

Red, that's exactly how I sharpen mine except I don't do pink. I use green. :D

I have three of his knives. Only one complaint. One of the knives should have a bigger kick on the blades. When it snaps shut, the force is enough to drive the edges into the backspring and chip them. So I have to remember when I'm using that knife (first one in front), to let it down easy. :) Other than that, they are well made, especially so considering the reasonable price. None of mine have the fancy emblem on the blade. How long has he been doing that? I bought mine back in 2003.

ablettx3.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE