Trekking poles necessary ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Northwoods

Jul 17, 2015
Uk
I've always thought people that used trekking poles were the overly sensible type and they've never really appealed to me but maybe i'm missing out, are they a good thing to have on the WHW? Is one enough? should you really have two?

whats everyone's thoughts ?

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
If you're backpacking then they are essential in my opinion. Take 30% of the weight off your feet, really help on steep slopes plus they give you something to set your tarp up with if there are no trees about. Best used as a pair.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I'm with Copper-head, they also totally reduce pressure on the lower back when carrying a load all day, i prefer my tarp setup over the trekking poles rather than between trees as it means i can set my bed up on flatter ground rather than over the rooty area between two trees

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I use a thumb stick. I walk with a slight limp after having so much work done on my left leg and obviously that makes carrying out hard on the back so a stick takes the strain on harder terrain. And handy for checking depths of "puddles"

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Ifyou're young and fit you probably don't need them. But if you are old and decrepit with knackered knees like me, then you do. TBH, I can't get up long,steep hills without them (and I find you need two). Without them I would be limited to walking on the flat, but with them I can still do the White Mountain hikes in New Hampshire.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Are trekking poles necessary? No. it is entirely possible to walk without them.
Is one enough? yes. People have been walking with a stick for thousands of years. It helps balance and comes in useful in all sorts of other ways.
Do I need 2? Walking with two poles takes a bit of getting used to, but once you have that the benefits in shock reduction are tremendous as above. Everything feels lighter and I feel like i can go further and faster. It can also be the difference between a fall when you are tired, and staying upright. If I have any distance to travel and a heavyish backpack then I will always take a pair of poles.

rg598

Native
I resisted trekking poles for a long time, but since I've started using them, they have made a big difference. I usually go pretty light, so I don't need to transfer much weight, but they are great at stabilizing you when you are on rough terrain, which has done wonders for my knees.

The trick is that you need a good pair. They need to be light enough to move efficiently with your body. If they don't they will just be a hindrance. I currently use the Black Diamond Alpine Carbon Cork. Here is a post I did about why I use them: http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2015/06/trekking-poles-and-why-i-use-them.html

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
If you don't feel you need them now then i think it's always a bit dodgy doing something because others are doing it or because some bloke off the internet says you should.

You don't need hiking poles, some are convinced they offer a better hiking experience others don't.

I would recommend using 2 rather than one, as using one hiking pole on rough ground with a full backpacks twists your back and puts a LOT of pressure on the opposite knee.

i never walk without my walking stick (and even cycle with a cane): balance on uneven/slippery ground/crossing rivers, poke the mud to see how deep it is, defence against animals (incl. homo sapiens), company (my faithful walking stick accompanies me since ten years wherever i go!) and homo sapiens getting interested in my stick --- shall i go on?!:cool:

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I would recommend using 2 rather than one, as using one hiking pole on rough ground with a full backpacks twists your back and puts a LOT of pressure on the opposite knee.

Absolutely agree. I found two poles very beneficial when walking downhill. It reduced the tendency for toes to drive into the end of boots.

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
One handy tip!!! Dont put your hands fully through the handle loops...just hook your thumb through......if you do happen to fall you can end up with serious arm injuries if the walking poles get stuck!!!!

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
I disagree strongly with this. used properly, hands go completely through the loops and your weight is taken on the loop which is around your wrist, not the stick, so you don't have to grip the stick to take your weight. re falling, you may have a point, but using poles, IMO, you are much less likely to fall.

Ed the Ted

Forager
Dec 13, 2013
Scotland
Am young and fit, always have one in the mountains, two if carrying a big rucksack. A (young and fit) pal told me a good tale about his pole just about saving him from having to crawl several kms over the Braeriach plateau in wild weather. His companion wasn't so 'sensible'. I know that I wouldn't enjoy hand and knee-ing over a few kms of cairngorm granite!

In my view though they're really good to have on steep up and downs to save the knees, on other terrain they're more if a burden than a help.

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Do yourself a very big favour and have a look at a pair of Pacer poles; designed by a physio who lives and walks in the Lake district, they are not the same as normal trekking poles. Nor are they Nordic style poles but work in a different way to either of those. I had a full knee replacement less than five months ago and I can now get easily 12 to 15 miles a day carrying seven kilos without any discomfort at all. I'd seen them here in the past and bought a pair, but then after the operation my consultant recommended them; he says that they take up to thirty per cent of the strain off both knees and ankles and because of their design they open your chest out as you walk and thus improve your posture and breathing. They also give the upper body a decent workout as you go. Search Pacer Poles and see the videos and read the reasoning behind the design.

If you walk with one pole or a stick or walking staff, you have to be absolutely sure to use it equal lengths of time and distance on both sides, otherwise your body is always out of shape and while it may be a very long time until you notice this imbalance but notice it you will; that was one of the contributing factors in my knee problems.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE