TreesTreesTrees and uses

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
I got as far as alder, too. Or at least as far as this bit:

"Most Alder leaves contain about 5,000 ppm of molybdenum, a rare and necessary mineral."

You people are so credulous! You will swallow any bull**** as long as it's wrapped up in this sort of touchy feely hogwash.

I, too, posess the last secrets of the Guatemalan penis flute and, in the meantime, I'm off to harvest some alders ...and corner the world market in molybdenum.

Burnt Ash

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
I got as far as alder, too. Or at least as far as this bit:

"Most Alder leaves contain about 5,000 ppm of molybdenum, a rare and necessary mineral."

You people are so credulous! You will swallow any bull**** as long as it's wrapped up in this sort of touchy feely hogwash.

I, too, posess the last secrets of the Guatemalan penis flute and, in the meantime, I'm off to harvest some alders ...and corner the world market in molybdenum.

Burnt Ash

Heh :)
But actually I don't truly understand what's so wrong with that sentence.

1. I've no idea if alder leaves contain molybdenum
2. Assuming they do I've no idea whether it's 50 / 5,000 or 5,000,000ppm
3. I've no idea how rare molybdenum is
4. Molybdenum is necessary but it abounds in the diet.
5. I've no idea how you'd go about extracting molybdenum from the leaves if you wanted
to, but I'm sure it could be done...?

Obviously I'm a fan of the sceptical sentiment, and I'm not arguing that the sentence is
a little gormless, just that it seems relatively mild for such a strong response :D

What's so awful about it?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hey Jodie
Do not get upset by BA - it is just his way!
Nearly every post I have seen of his has come across as rude, abusive or plain nasty....but I am sure he is a fluffy New Age Teddy Bear at heart!
Hey he is a member of this forum and read the tree thing:240:

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk

I'm more baffled really. I'd have to say that he and I are usually singing from the same
hymn sheet on these things but I might express the same sentiments slightly differently!

I'm normally very quick to spot poor logic or unlikely claims (it's part of my job) - so
perhaps I'm just worried that I'm losing my touch :D

He went to Defcon 1 on what I thought was just a slightly woolly sentence :)

This week I've seen a claim for some product that "contains enzymes" with the implication
that this is beneficial because enzymes "provide energy". Both can be true but as
far as I'm aware enzymes are also all proteins and will be destroyed once eaten, and can
only provide energy if they're part of a chain of events. So the claim is a bit like saying I
have a cogwheel and can therefore go faster - yes, but only if it's connected up to other
cogs and driving a fanbelt type of thing and given power ;)

These are the sorts of claims that make me email the advertising standards agency or
seek clarification from more knowledgeable chums. The Molybdenum statement seems
fairly benign claim in comparison.

For more on molybdenum, see the PDF in the link below... no mention of alder ;)
http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/healthydiet/nutritionessentials/vitaminsandminerals/molybdenum/

I thought Geuf's find was quite interesting!

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
Hey Jodie
Do not get upset by BA - it is just his way!
Nearly every post I have seen of his has come across as rude, abusive or plain nasty....but I am sure he is a fluffy New Age Teddy Bear at heart!
Hey he is a member of this forum and read the tree thing:240:

Mr Fenna,
It is clear that we do not see eye-to-eye. You accuse me of being rude and abusive? Inevitably, some things come down to interpretation. I am robust in my views as, I am sure, you are in yours.
I must, however, challenge your accusation of my being 'plain nasty'. I invite you to cite an instance of this. If you can not, it might be appropriate for you to offer an apology?

Burnt Ash

Arth

Nomad
Sep 27, 2007
west sussex
It looks like a American tree site I'd be a bit careful I'm not sure if there trees are the same as the British trees, before you start munching into them

Geuf

Nomad
May 29, 2006
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
lol! I think that is always the case Arth. Do proper research and get proper training before you start munching away as you say. I thought it was just some nice info to read and maybe it'll produce a snowball effect. If you know what I mean?

Cheers!

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
It looks like a American tree site I'd be a bit careful I'm not sure if there trees are the same as the British trees, before you start munching into them

Good point as an example I dont think I have ever come across a hawthorn with thorns 'at least an inch long'.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE