Trees

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martin Cross

Jan 12, 2006
Rotherham England
This may sound really stupid to all of You Pros Out there but for a true beginer like me; Im just wondering how to tell the the differance beetween trees when there is no leafs on them :S, i no this must seem reli stupid, its kinda of embaressing.
or
can anyone put me in the write direction towards any information.

Thanx a lot
Martin

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
This may sound really stupid to all of You Pros Out there but for a true beginer like me
There is no such thing as a stupid question.... only not asking is stupid!!..... you can bet that if you want to know the answer there are 100+ others out there with the same question...... so please... ask away

redflex pretty much summed it up ..... there is also a poem on the forum somewhere about ID'ing trees in winter time .... anyone got the link?

:D
Ed

gaz_miggy

Forager
Sep 23, 2005
Hereford
its not stupid at all telling trees apart in winter is hard. i think the best give away is the bark and how the tree grows. also i tent to look on the ground to see if theres any dead leave about but this is not reliable cuz leaves get mixed up and so on your best bet it try and find a identity book get get them almost any were that sells book hope it was of some help .gaz.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Martin Cross said:
This may sound really stupid to all of You Pros Out there but for a true beginer like me; Im just wondering how to tell the the differance beetween trees when there is no leafs on them :S, i no this must seem reli stupid, its kinda of embaressing.
or
can anyone put me in the write direction towards any information.

Thanx a lot
Martin

Not a stupid question. I've always prided myself on knowing all the trees in our local area. Every spring however, during maple syruping season, I end up tapping at least one red oak - thinking it is a maple. In my sugar bush - there is enough variation between the oaks and maples that some are hard to tell apart - especially when there are no leaves and three feet of snow on the ground.

The mistake doesn't last long - you can smell the difference when you are drilling.

PG

Laurence Dell

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Sevenoaks, Kent
Feb 13, 2006
suffolk
try identifying trees from a car or train- the actual overall shape of a tree and teh colour of the bark are surprisingly distictive and you get good at telling at a glance

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE