Trees combining

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Came across this interesting combination today... Holly growing in hawthorn :)

Anyone else come across other examples of trees combining?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've seen lots of examples of two or more trees of the same species growing into one combines plant; but only a couple like that (can't remember what species :( ) When you think about it though, it's not really different from humans grafting them.

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
Yes, I know of a Holly growing in a Horse Chestnut.

Also near where I live there is something growing in a Cherry - can't recall what - a Cotoneaster or something - will have to go and look.

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
I have an Elderberry and a Holly both growing out of Crabapple trees in my bit of wood, the 'second' tree generally seems to be a berry tree/bush each time I guess it's as a result of birds taking the berry into/onto the parent tree to eat it, the same way as Mistletoe gets it's initial hold.

D.B.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Interesting thanks for posting. I have come across a few specimens where one tree grows out of another. There are some particularly unusual examples of these ''double'' trees at a place on the Stiperstones in Shropshire called ''The Hollies'' which has some of the oldest Holly and Rowan trees in the country. Some of these ancient holly trees have rowan trees growing out of them, it is thought the rowan seeds in birds droppings have lodged in the holly trees and then fertilised and grown on. The Rowans have split open the Holly trees damaging them however both trees survive and now grow as one tree, a rowan and holly growing together as one tree. For those interested the history of these trees is quite interesting, the area called ''The Hollies'' is the remains of what was once a ''Hollins'', which is an ancient Holly tree forest where the holly trees were pollarded by the local lead miners in order to feed the holly leaves to their livestock during the winter months.

For those interested this link explains a bit more

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/christmas/3566374/Hollins-One-of-Britains-last-ancient-holly-forests-is-saved.html

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Coolest one (well for me anyway) was on the policy grounds of the estate I worked on. Big old yew tree (associated with death and evil to some) with a rowan (mountain ash. Linked to protection from evil) growing out of a split in the trunk. Have some pictures of it somewhere, I was really taken with the symbolism if it.
Linked but a wee bit different I have a wee side interest in the wee vignettes of life you get in.the rotted tops of old fence posts (sad I know) often find bird nests or little miniature dioramas of landscapes in the hollowed out tops. One just outside the house has a little natural bonsi rowan surrounded by moss & lichen. When the tree goes into its autumn colours with the dark green moss around it its really beautiful.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
A birch tree growing from a sycamore.

trees.JPG

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE