Treebeard's Song

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Greetings, BCUK. I hope you all enjoyed your Christmas holidays and have a bushy night out planned for New Year's Eve.

Inspired by a recent viewing of Benjamin Bagby's incredible performance of Beowulf in its original Old English, I decided to try a performance of my own. This is a rendition of Treebeard's song or lament set to music of Lothlorien. Here I'm trying to depict old Fangorn's reminiscence of the elder days when he used to walk the land in broad steps. I take great joy in trying to bring characters to life and I practice quite a lot as I have a very wide vocal range. I like to study the rhythms, the cadences of how people speak and how they can portray emotion through every syllable. Here it is. Enjoy. Please share it to others if they are Tolkien readers or just interested in folklore at all.

I think this is a good debut of my love of bardic storytelling.

[video=youtube_share;mibqAL0TqI8]http://youtu.be/mibqAL0TqI8[/video]

I hope you enjoyed that. Let me know what you think as I may do more of them.

Last edited:

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
in that case it's fantastic !

i really enjoyed it and i reckon you have an outstanding talent there.

that voice could well be your future and your furtune......superb !

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
in that case it's fantastic !

i really enjoyed it and i reckon you have an outstanding talent there.

that voice could well be your future and your furtune......superb !

Thanks, very much. Your words are deeply appreciated, Robbi.

I'm in a great mood, so just for some fun and to act as proof that I can do the voice, I've made a recording. I try to transition between the two. Have a listen if you'd like. Just click the link.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1OAAudzylmt

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
Thanks for posting, it really drew me in and wasn't difficult to listen to. The only thing I think you could improve on is your breathing sound in between speaking. Later on in your reading you almost suss it by slowing down and using your nose, however when you speed up you use your mouth which is louder. With that sorted, I think you have an excellent talent, and really enjoy listening to you :)

AndyJDickson

Sep 29, 2011
Northern Ireland
That is amazing. The voice really fits the character and has so much depth and wisdom. Amazing. I love the way you ger the growl and rolling the rs etc. Great. Ive listened to it twice.

Keep em coming I love it.

Btw were did you hear the beowulf rendition?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
@Coldfeet It's quite hard to keep it going, especially when it's more than two minutes long. The quality isn't that good either because I recorded it on my phone. My brother has a special microphone which I'll use next time. Thanks.

@AndyJDickson Thanks, Andy. I'd like to do another one soon. And that Beowulf rendition, by the way, is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y13cES7MMd8. This deeply inspired me... He is a true storyteller.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
That's a cool talent. Does it hurt your throat at all when you do that?
It doesn't in the slightest, Niels. It's just a little difficult to keep the consistency of the tone of voice over a long period of time.

I don't listen to the music anymore at all, I used to when I was a lot younger, but have you ever heard any vocals for metal music? It's a bit like that, I guess. Quite a few people are capable of "singing" in that way. It's hard to describe if you don't know what I mean. I don't know, some people can just reach that low register. I just happen to utilize it for voice acting certain fictional characters and I enjoy it.

Again, thanks very much for the kind responses.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
It doesn't in the slightest, Niels. It's just a little difficult to keep the consistency of the tone of voice over a long period of time.

I don't listen to the music anymore at all, I used to when I was a lot younger, but have you ever heard any vocals for metal music? It's a bit like that, I guess. Quite a few people are capable of "singing" in that way. It's hard to describe if you don't know what I mean. I don't know, some people can just reach that low register. I just happen to utilize it for voice acting certain fictional characters and I enjoy it.

Again, thanks very much for the kind responses.

Yes I like metal. My brother is a bass and he can do grunting a lot like you do here.
I can't do it without hurting my throat so I just don't.
Anyhow, thanks for sharing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE