Tree root cordage

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Does anyone know what are the best coniferous trees to obtain the root cordage from? Or will they all provide half decent cordage?

to be honest it all depends on how you intend to use it.
If you want to sew bark containers or Canoes:rolleyes: together with either smaller whole roots or split down larger ones then sitka's very good.
I have also used; Fir, Western Red Cedar, Western Hemlock and scot's pine. They are all similar in my experience but I find the Sitka easiest to collect as there are sizable areas scattered throughout the area I have access to.

If you are looking to actually make twisted cordage or rope then I would go for bark in the form of either Wych elm or Lime.

You can also use alder roots, I think these turn black or dark brown but I may be mistaken on this.

Hope this helps
R.B.

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
Scots pine? Ah interesting! Now that is something I can collect justifiably as they are a fast spreading weed in my local heathland.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
Well impressed with this cordage! Went out and dug some up yesterday. The trees I found I think were a type of Pine but they were def not scots pine but quite similar.

I harvested some roots about as thick as my index finger (managed to get a bit about 2 metres long!). And also harvested some about 5mm thick. I found both types to be extremely strong. I had to gently bend it a bit to make it more supple but had no problem in lashing together 3 sticks to make a tripod.

I didnt have much joy using the "brake" tool to strip the bark off the root tho, found it easier to gently scrape it off with my knife.

Does anyone know if root cordage is naturally more supple in the warmer months, as with willow bark etc?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE