Tree/rogue shrub identification

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 14, 2016
North Lincolnshire
My better half returned home from work today to surprise me with a potential carving branch. Trouble is we have no idea what it is and whether it is food safe (I'll be trying to make a spoon or few). Any help would be much appreciated!

IMG_20180822_184640.jpg IMG_20180822_184708.jpg IMG_20180822_184744.jpg IMG_20180822_184813.jpg IMG_20180822_184837.jpg

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I believe it's a buddleia; I do not believe it is considered toxic but I would research it as I have at the back of my mind something to do with not burning it - addled old brain can't recall the details, sorry :(

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Definitely not buddleia. The leaves are alternate, not budding off from the same point, the bark is greener, less grey than what is usual for buddleia, and the twigs appear more branching whereas buddleia tends to have long stems without branching. Lastly, at this time of year practically every buddleia stem has a flower on on the end (okay, flowers are on their way out, but they will be there).

My vote is going on willow. However I can't decide which of the willows it might be. Doesn't fit perfectly with any of them here:
https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/visiting-woods/trees-woods-and-wildlife/british-trees/native-trees/

Last edited:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Yep, you're right about the buddleia. I just nipped out in the daylight to look at the shrub I thought it matched and the leaves are opposite not alternate for a start. It was the pale underside that fooled me. It doesn't actually match any of the willows here either. Are the leaves long enough for crack-willow?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
It’s possible it might be Cotoneaster cornubis. I can’t find a google picture of a trunk cross section to check if it has pith, but the leaf looks right. The pith effect may be the beginning of some type of rot in the tree anyway.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Cotoneaster (as a generic group) was the first thing I thought of, but when I looked for reference pictures I could not find a specific one with the right twig configuration. :bluethinking: Also, the two or three Cotoneaster that I know have much darker and smoother main trunk bark. At this time of year they also tend to be covered in berries, which appear to be absent from the pictured tree. :dunno:

I think it might be Crack Willow, which would explain the rot in the centre rather well, since they are prone to it.

Where did the better half find this piece of mystery wood?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Apply the Crack Willow test. Tap down sharply with a finger on a thin branch. If it pops off easily, then Crack Willow it probably is.

Sep 14, 2016
North Lincolnshire
Thanks for the replies folks :) it certainly looks like crack willow might be the winner here. It was on a quiet lane near Heapham, Lincs. A tree had lost it's branch by the roadside so he pulled over and rescued it.

Greenbeard

Tenderfoot
Jan 15, 2018
North yorkshire
I'm guessing it's a black willow going from those leaves as they are smooth edged, Crack willows have serrated leaves. Also looking at the way the rot is spreading through such a young branch is a plus one for willow. Also the growth rings are just one colour and vessels being similar size throughout the year indicating the tree is diffuse porous, plus one for willow.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE