Tree Recognition Challenge #7

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
One photo. Totally defining.

582878998_0ae02dbfe4_o.jpg

Lets give Shewie a chance to go first on this un! Its one of those that if you know it, its unmistakeable!

Red

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I'm pretty sure I know it - but I'll let Shewie have a chance first. I mention it in my review of the Woodlore Introduction to Bushcraft course: "I'd never knowingly seen one before..."

Geoff

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'm pretty sure I know it - but I'll let Shewie have a chance first. I mention it in my review of the Woodlore Introduction to Bushcraft course: "I'd never knowingly seen one before..."

Geoff

I`d agree with that Geoff, I was off on a mad birch search until I read your BIG clue.

Again :red: Again :red: Again:red:

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I thought birch at first when I saw it down at Woodlore, 'cos it's not too dissimilar, but it's those long parallel veins that make it really stand out.

I just put the clue in so I could get the glory of being the first one to get right without spoiling it for Shewie!!!! :lmao:

Geoff :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
:)

582878998_0ae02dbfe4_o.jpg

The Hornbeam or Carpinus betulus

This tree has no edible uses at all

The leaves have limited medicinal use - a compress stopes bleeding and a tincture of the leaves makes an eye lotion. The bark makes a yellow dye.

http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Carpinus+betulus

Red

Congratulations - I'll do more later or another day - I need to keep my attention elsewhere at the moment since its the ast week of "cooking time"

Turkish Delight anyone?

1985493751_1f21fcda71.jpg

red

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
I'd have got that one if I'd seen it in time: our wood is mainly hornbeam. I was interested in the 'no edible value' comment. Tell that to the squirrels! It is one of the very best burning woods and used also (I gather) for piano hammers.

Burnt Ash

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its gifts hedgepig - Its not a holiday we celebrate here but out parents do so they get a hamper of all the usual luxuries - sweets, pickles, cakes, christmas puds, chutneys, chocolates, wine etc. The deal is though that BB and I make and preserve everything that goes in it.

We try to vary things a bit and actually I like it since it gives me an excuse to experiment. For example home made vinegar got used this year rather than shop bought in some of the recipes. The results were good enough that I won't buy vinegar again. Also mango chutney went in with the other more normal sorts since ......well I like mango chutney and I wanted to make some :)

Okay I'm a big kid who still likes playing :eek:. I usely get a blank look from people when I do this stuff - sort of "why not buy it?". But to me its no different from using flint an steel or making a knife sheath, I want to understand how its done and do it myself. Trouble with knife sheaths is of course that I now want to tan leather :eek:

Rambling - s0rry

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE