tree identification?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
was given some bits to identify and got most of them however two had me stumped on was a small apple tree type leaf with black berrys like a frosted black currant , the other was more like a lime tree leaf but had some green catkins and small almost pine cone seeds about 8-10 mm in size . so i need to get a good simple tree guide perhaps covering natural and ornamental trees any suggestions recomendations thanks ilan

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ilan,

Almosty certainly blackthorn for the frosted black currants although if they are really that small then purging buckthorn.

Blackthorn

blackthornsr9.jpg

Buckthorn (early before the berries ripen - I'll find a dark berry record shot if it helps)

buckthorntz0.jpg

The pinecone seeds sound like Alder to me

Alder

aldermq1.jpg

Hope that helps a bit

Red

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
British Red said:
The pinecone seeds sound like Alder to me

If it has broad leaves and cones then as Red says it's Alder....it's the exception for broadleafs being the only one to produce cones.

The exception for conifers is Larch as it's the only one to drop it's needles in the winter :)

Cheers,

Bam. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE