Tree Ident

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well since you clever people all managed to sort out the "bizarre berry" can you help me out with this one?

This tree has leaves with a silver sheen. The fruit are small, very apple like, but sized a little large than a marrow fat pea (thats as big as they get). I toyed with whitebeam as an identification but the fruit don't seem quite right

Anyone?

whatamivm4.jpg

TIA

Red

Ranger Bob

Nomad
Aug 21, 2004
Suffolk
My first thoughts would be whitebeam as well.......the fruits look like any other whitebeam i've seen (theres one right outside my front window) what would give it away would be a white felt underside to the leaves.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yep,

Whitebeam it is. Its in a very shady hedgerow which probably explains why the fruit don't ripen

Cheers RB

(was out further than normal today - saw some stunning Hornbeams I managed to photograph for my reference shots...and a lovely cedar....and a sea buckthorn of all weird species,,that's right up there with finding a Tulip tree!)

Really should do something with all those piccs sometime,,,not sure what though...theres plenty of good tree identification shots around

Thanks mate

Red

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
British Red said:
Yep,

Really should do something with all those piccs sometime,,,not sure what though...theres plenty of good tree identification shots around

Thanks mate

Red
Hmmmm......how about a photobucket album to share with us.......I've got loads of books for tree I/D but there are times when I'd always like another opinion.. :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Falcon,

Not a bad idea actually...Could try that...I usually use imageshack (just because its the first I found). I hear photobucket is good though...reckon people would find these sorts of shot useful? (I took these two today)

hornbeamgt5.jpg

seabuckthornda2.jpg

I'm rubbish at fir varieties, so I guess it might force me to try harder! It would also give me a chance to ask for help from the more knowledgeable ones...hmmmm can almost feel a thread of "positive IDs" and a thread of "anyone help with"

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE