Tree ID please

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Whilst out for a bimble at the weekend I came across this, I`ve no idea what it is but I suspect it could be Bucida buceras or 'Shady Lady'

What do you think ???

weird-tree.jpg

:rolleyes:

Rich

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
Aye, that looks like a Silver Birch, a decent sized one too - they generally dont last more than 100 years. Look out for the black rhomboids chequering the bark - the other native Birch Betula pubescens ('Downy Birch') doesnt tend to have them, and has a smoother feel to the branch tips (hence 'downy' - the other common name for Silver is 'warty birch'). Fantastic tree - one of my favourites and the wood is brilliant for carving.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Perhaps I should mention that I thought this birch tree looked remarkably like a lady in a crucifix position when I spotted it.

Just so you don`t think I`m some kind of weirdo.

Rich

Twoflower

Nomad
May 11, 2007
Northants
I'm not sure what's more worrying, the fact that people missed the simulacrum or the fact that people missed the fact it was a nakedish female form .. p'raps some people need to come out of the woods for a while ;D

Dec 20, 2006
Staffordshire
Looks like you've found a dryad. A silver dryad by the looks of the pic. One word of warning...Be careful where you drill her for sap next spring.or you'll regret it. ....:lmao:

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
Lol fair dos, must have been having a senior moment....... and there was me trying to contribute sensibly for once! Not wishing to sound disparaging but I did think it was strange that someone who had been on here for three years still couldnt identify a Silver Birch.........

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Lol fair dos, must have been having a senior moment....... and there was me trying to contribute sensibly for once! Not wishing to sound disparaging but I did think it was strange that someone who had been on here for three years still couldnt identify a Silver Birch.........

No worries Aaron, I`m always grateful for advice from the more senior members however senile they may appear on that particular day :p

Rich

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE