Tree ID Please

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I saw three or four magnificent large tree (of the same species) this week and am 90% sure of my identification. I wonder if some of our cognoscenti could confirm my ID please?

21442689921_a7b0d3405d_c.jpg

21246141850_6b1ed20d49_c.jpg

21247752809_1abc78c4c3_c.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Is that the Holm Oak ?
It's considered to be an invader, though it doesn't usually thrive because frost does it a mischief. I suppose if global warming takes off though, it might settle in.
Beautiful looking trees though :D

M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It is the Holm Oak. In a car park in Exmouth so in a very mild microclimate. They have all sorts of weird and wonderful trees there - including true palm trees :). I hadn't spotted these until this year, but am pleased to have met them.

I didn't have a Stihl on me Sean, they were too large for a SAK saw!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We have palm trees growing in the West of Scotland, and they're thriving in places like Plockton.
The Holm oak is the evergreen one though…..
http://www.plantlife.org.uk/wild_plants/plant_species/evergreen_oak_holm_oak

Lot of places round here named Holm…Holm Ave., Holm Drive, etc., never thought that it might be because the trees might be there.
I know that they were supposedly introduced in the early 1500's, that they grow and seed profusely, and burn well, but that's about it I'm afraid.

M

DogRose

Forager
Apr 19, 2015
Isle of Wight
We have quite a little forest of them around Ventnor on the south coast of the Isle of Wight. It is believed they were brought to the area by plant hunters from the Victorian era and naturalized due to the microclimate and lack of natural predators. The National Trust have introduced Feral Goats onto the site in the hope they will browse on the saplings and help to control it, as the area is managed chalk grassland.

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
Toddy, I believe Holm is an old name/word from the time of the Vikings, referring to an area liable to flood......there are often stretches or areas on rivers where you see the word crop up 'Holme Marsh' seems to be a common name on several rivers etc. I wonder if your 'Holm' street names are close to or were once close to rivers or streams?

DB

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE