Tree ID help

paulgosker

Jul 18, 2006
Ireland
My tree/shrub knowledge is not what I would call great so i was wondering if anyone could help me ID these?

Now for the second one, theres 2 pics of it

Any help with these would be great!

By the way, you can make cordage from the top one, heres some i made...

Thanks lads

leon-1

Hi Paul, the top one looks like some kind of Palm or Yucca, the second looks very much like Rhodedendron, infact I am almost certain on the second one.

We have loads of palms in the Westcountry, however they do not tend to be in the British books of trees as they are non indigenous species imported by the Victorians.

I hope this helps a little

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
ESpy said:
Cordyline and rhodedendron?

Actually, scratch cordyline - all the pics I can find show it as the leaves growing from the ground. Unless someone has created a standard cordyline?
Spot on - top one in a cordyline australis- they do grow standard - like a tree fern - the bottom leaves die back each year forming a woody stem. Very common in N Ireland particularly. Bottom is of course the horribly invasive Rhody of "lets go Rhody bashing" fame

Red

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Paul,

Neither are native. The best use for Rhody is as firewood. Its truly horrible and invasive and in (your own) mixed woodland, should be chopped down with no mercy. Coryline leaves are very fibrous and flax like so, as you have noted, good for cordage. Fantastic flowers too but mainly an ornamental tree as far as I know. Now the flower stem of the yucca makes a great fire drill when dried. I would not be surprised if the same was true of the Cordy.
HTH

Red

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
ID's seem to have been done! lol

Rhody wood can be hard as hell but looks beautiful once carved and it has some wonderful natural shapes that can be utilised. A friend of mine has just made himself a most lovely looking firebow with one....it's a real beauty.

Red's quite right that it's a menace in british woodland though and should "be shown no mercy"! lol :lmao:

I'm not so sure about the merits of using Rhody as firewood though....I'm sure I remember something about it being not teribly good for you to breath it's smoke ;)

Cheers,

Bam. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE