Oct 21, 2008
Fife/Scotland
Spotted these when out today.
Am I right in thinking Dryad's Saddle?

P1010004.jpg

5.jpg

1.jpg

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Yep thats dryads saddle, good one too.
Not sure about edibility, The mushroom lady will know.

Scoffham

Tenderfoot
Mar 31, 2009
Cumbria
Dryads saddle is indeed edible.. although not nice. I tried some last year growing on Poplar. Tastes a bit like watermelon skin- would not recommend it!

Scoff

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
That's an awesome specimen - I've never seen one in that good condition before.

I'll seek out in a bit for a bimble and take a pic of one near me. Im waiting for it to get rearly big. Bout crashed the car yesterday driving past it. :D

xylaria

I know it is edible, I have never eaten one {I have only ever found manky ones} but minimoo from newhouse farm says don't fry it garlic butter as with other fungi but cook it with rice. She also sliced and dried some and powdered it into stock. I have tried some less than edible polypores they do make some very good additions to stews if dried into fine peices first but fried in butter they can be as edible as boots.

East Coaster

Forager
Oct 21, 2008
Fife/Scotland
Aye, they are a fair size alright (at least 2ft across, you get the clearest idea in the second picture with the nettles just below it).
Doesn't sound like a good eater. Besides, I'd need a wheelbarrow to cart it home!

I've walked past this spot almost daily for about 8 years and never seen them before.
Come to think of it there was a lot of other fungal growths around the area in previous weeks that I've never noticed before.

Are the fungi on the rise :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE