Tree Felling Advice wanted

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
I feel myself to be a fairly competant tree feller, though I'm no tree surgeon of forester. I basically follow the simple rule that if I don't know what the tree's gonna do when I cut into it, I don't fell it. Which leads me to this post.
At the bottom end of our paddock are a line of sycamores which were shading out where I wanted to put a big vege patch. They're old "coppiced" ones about 10" or so in diameter and they're growing on a 6ft high Devon bank. I have knocked all but one of them over safely and where I wanted them, but the last one has me stumped.
It is growing on our side of the bank, but it is, at the top, leaning slightly over the next door paddock. This means I can't really get at the base. I am pretty certain it will want to fall onto the next door field, but as I can't get at the base I am not sure how I can fell it. I certainly won't be able to get there to put in a breaking bar or wedges.
The plan I had was to put a winch cable near the top of the tree with the cable running into our paddock. I was going to put slight tension on the tree (just enough to stop it sitting back when I cut into it) and fell it into our paddock, using the winch to pull it over.
I have seen this done, but only by american foresters, and they have a somewhat more cavallier attitude to tree felling than I. The question I have is would this be regarded as a highly dangerous idea?
If it is then I am open to other suggestions. Failing that I will have to get a pro in to knock it over.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Safest option is to get someone in but why not speak to the owner of the neighbouring paddock and ask if they'd mind you dropping the tree into their paddock? Obviously you'd make sure it was all cleared up afterwards.

I've done the winch and pull method but it can be risky as you don't know if the centre of the tree is diseased or not and you could end up with a barbers chair.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
is there a reason why you can't fell it into your next door's feild?

using a winch is posable but then you need to get the winch cable at leest 2 thirds of the way into the tree. also for this sort of work your felling cuts need to be spot on or things are likely to go wrong.
how much of a lean is it? just remember leaning trees can split and come crashing down on the cutter.

imho you shouldn't mess with anything but strait fells unless you really know what your doing.

to me (tree surgeon) it would be an easy job but im a little far away to help! lol. but im sure if you asked your local to do the bare minimum (just getting the tree on the ground) it wouldn't cost much.

pete

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
no problems with felling it onto the neighbours land but as I said, I can't get round to the back of the tree as it's essentially hanging in fresh air.
I would put in a dogs tooth cut (I have an NPTC small trees ticket) although the lean itself is minimal (it's more that the branches have split at the top and grown in one direction. The tree is almost straight.
I did think that a tree surgeon wouldn't charge a lot as all he'd have to do is knock it down. I'd clear up the brash, log it etc. P'raps I'll get a couple of local tree bods in and give me a quote.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
how tall is the tree? could u get a rope up high enough with a ladder?
its suprising what you can pull over with a land rover and a rope provided you can tie the rope high enough (more leaverage). could you stand on some steps or similar to make the cut?
what you should so is cut the gob, put the tree under slight tention but not enough to pull it over, do an ordanary back cut (be accurate with you hinge), get out the way, THEN pull it over.

as you've got your tickets, CS30/31 i guess. you should know what your doing and know the risks. the most important factor is gut feeling, if things don't seems right dont do it

pete

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
what ever meathod you choose make sure you can get out the way when it starts to fall and definatly don't be standing on a platform when it does!

pete

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
what ever meathod you choose make sure you can get out the way when it starts to fall and definatly don't be standing on a platform when it does!

pete

yeah, that is my fear. As I've been working on a bank, some of my escape routes have been... challenging. Fortunately not needed them.
I'd say the tree is about 40ft tall. What I was planning was attaching a pulley to on tree where I want to fell, then running the cable thru at 90 degrees to the winch. That way I am (hopefully) out of the way if anything goes wrong.
I thought a dogs tooth would be safer in case I put too much tension on the tree.
Think what I'll do is get some firms in to quote and if it's more or less what a tirfor would cost to hire then just get them to do it.
Thanks for your input.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
a dogs tooth cut is not necassary, befor you start cutting the back have the cable only just tort. it doesn't matter if its not quite tort enough because if your saw gets pinched then no worry, just get your mate (which you should always have with you!) to unpinch the bar with the winch. so if in doubt having it a little under tort may be safer.

felling trees against their leen with a winch is relitively safe in respects of your escape route as you should complete the cut and be well out the way befor you give it a pull on the winch so there should be no need to worry.

if the tree doesn't want to fall (unlikely) then slacken the cable a bit first befor you attempt to find the problem or cut any more. your number one consern should be the hinge. an inch thick and an inch higher than the bottom of the gob should be perfect.

hope this helps:)

pete

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
a dogs tooth cut is not necassary, befor you start cutting the back have the cable only just tort. it doesn't matter if its not quite tort enough because if your saw gets pinched then no worry, just get your mate (which you should always have with you!) to unpinch the bar with the winch. so if in doubt having it a little under tort may be safer.

felling trees against their leen with a winch is relitively safe in respects of your escape route as you should complete the cut and be well out the way befor you give it a pull on the winch so there should be no need to worry.

if the tree doesn't want to fall (unlikely) then slacken the cable a bit first befor you attempt to find the problem or cut any more. your number one consern should be the hinge. an inch thick and an inch higher than the bottom of the gob should be perfect.

hope this helps:)

pete

that helps a bundle. can't thank you enough

flexo

Forager
Dec 3, 2010
france
i'm a professional timberjack.
it fairly possible to fell with a winch. the main idea is not to follow cable direction ,but with an angle 15° should do it,then if you do the saw cut high (belt height) use a wedge(any home made wooden one is good) to secure the tree if cable breaks. the saw cut must be higher than the "mouth",to prevent tree kickback,also get fair away when tree start to bend over.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE