Tree advice needed

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Some advice please. In recent high winds a rowan tree in the garden got blown over. Not completely uprooted but needs the bi-pod I rigged to stay upright. How long will it need the support?

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Hello SCOMAN.

I must admit that nearly all the broken/damaged trees that I have ever seen still have their props. There is one particular exception in Kew that has benefitted from being partially blown over. This tree also started a train of thought on ground compaction and now looks magnificent, but I digress!
I have quite a lot of Rowan in the woods that I look after, they certainly grow tall there but not particularly large diameter wise. They blow over or lean after winds. Unless they are dangerous to the walking public I quite often leave them and they usually end up on the forest floor.
In your instance you will be wanting the root sysyem to re establish itself enough to support the stem again. This may never happen enough to support the tree and if you remove the support the likelyhood is that the first wind through will blow it over again. You never know though, optimism is a fine thing! I would certainly give it five years. You need to ensure the support does not chafe the bark when it moves.
Alterntively maybe this is the time to plant a youngster. I know it's good luck to have a Rowan by your entrance. Perhaps it's time to plant something else in its place (crop rotation) and a new one in the good luck position. I would suggest another Sorbus but this time perhaps a Torminalis.
I know most of this is only speculation on my part but I hope you resolve this problem. There were some fantastic trees that were lost to the 1987 gale. Time and nature is a great healer. 24 years later there are some fantastic young trees that were planted to replace them!
Swyn.

treelore

Nomad
Jan 4, 2008
Northamptonshire
how big a tree are we talking ? it may be possible to save it depending on the size, but more importantly are there any under laying problem with the root-ball ? is there any signs of rot in the root ball or fungal bodys ? could you also put a photo up as there could be a weight problem (too many large limbs one side ) i ask this because there could be other factor that may need sorting out too, or could be just a case of the wind being too strong...

Let me know and i can give you some more advise.

all the best

Treelore

tomongoose

Nomad
Oct 11, 2010
Plymouth
I had a few fruit trees fall over and found just giving them the minimum support to stay up with a bit of string was best as otherwise they seem to get dependent on the stake

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Scoman your Rowan will likely be sending up 'suckers' if the tree can't be stabilised, you could let one of them grow in it's place ?

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE