Travelling Asia?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
If I went to Asia I would stay in the top hotels.

Im sick of slumming it here; Why should I do so elsewhere?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yeah, the laptop was a bit of a concern, but I'm a photo junkie, so I consider it a necessary evil. Plus in Thailand, most second hand books were sold, as there are lots of places willing to buy them and some weren't all that cheap to buy back.

Not sure why a laptop is a necessity for a photo junkie. You don't have to put the pix on the computer immediately. Just mail the memory cards home when they are full, but another locally and transfer them to the computer when you get home. Lighter load, less to worry about and quite possibly cheaper with the way the airlines charge for baggage now.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com

Top hotels in Asia are very good. If you go I reccomend the Shangri La they have a chain of excellent Hotels throughout Asia. The one in Ningbo is very very good and has an excellent seafood buffet... But the thing about backpacker hostels is you're not really slumming it per se as the chances are there's a real slum not actually that far away and the difference between the two is quite marked..

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland

At the time of my travels, I could well afford to stay in the top hotels but I chose to go the backpacker route and stay in low budget hotels and hostels (and the odd jungle hut). The experience was an eye opener for me but more importantly it let me make immerse myself in the day to day lives of what I would call the real people of the area, both urban and rural. Seeing jungle tribespeople and sharing, albeit briefly, a snapshot of how they live was a particularly humbling experience that I will never forget, especially now in these austere times when I can no longer afford to stay in top hotels anywhere!

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
I actually disagree when it comes to travelling/backpacking. Just got back from 7 months travelling through Australasia/Asia with a 70 litre backpack, which fit all my gear. After 5 months I got fed up, shipped everything home except the bare essentials that could fit in a 25 litre rucksack.

So all your gear fits in the rucksack, regardless of size, or what kit you take, the best size is one that fits your gear in.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE