Traveller's food old style

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I've got a 4' shelf in my library of these kinds of books. I'll never own them all.
Also believe that everyone should read Michael Pollan's series of books on food. Read them in order, it helps.

I'd offer "Fishermen's Knots" if I could find it. Down there someplace.
Not that a bushcrafter is likely to need a Bimini Hitch.

I'd like a modern documentary book, lacking hysterics, regarding Henges. Any suggestions?

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Michael Pollan the Cooked tv series guy?
It was quite good. A bit "polished New York JAP discovering world outside US" but still worth watching.

But the Fire part, where he grills, he should come and visit my favourite Jerk guys for a tutorial......

PS the P is for Prince not Princess.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'm quite certain that Pollan was writing long before any TV gig that he might have had.
I don't watch TV once a month. It's a big satellite set-up. Visitors/company like it after they dust it all off.
Authors usually have to think about what they commit to paper for a book.
TV is marginalized crud, mostly. So are the outdoor magazines.
Summer of 1965, I helped to fake the pictures for a bigshot, up north, wilderness fishing article.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I raised 2 kids. They thought that many nights, it was like eating in a restaurant. So be it. Happy with what I needed to do.
Both happy, healthy and productive adults. My digital cookbook (300 recipes) is a resource shared only with family.

When little, they learned to count to 10 by biting the legs off Calimari in a restaurant.
Much to the annoyance of adjacent tables.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
I've got a 4' shelf in my library of these kinds of books. I'll never own them all.
Also believe that everyone should read Michael Pollan's series of books on food. Read them in order, it helps.

I'd offer "Fishermen's Knots" if I could find it. Down there someplace.
Not that a bushcrafter is likely to need a Bimini Hitch.

I'd like a modern documentary book, lacking hysterics, regarding Henges. Any suggestions?
Prehistoric Henges by Burl, Shire Archaeology. Is about as factual as you can get. Slim book and very much a summary but useful.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I don't think anyone has mentioned stories as currency. Travelers bringing news of far off places, cultures, technologies etc. may well have been offered a meal and a seat by the fire in return.

Z

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
I don't think anyone has mentioned stories as currency. Travelers bringing news of far off places, cultures, technologies etc. may well have been offered a meal and a seat by the fire in return.

Z
Yes the intangibles might have been a currency.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Jane Auel (sp?) uses story-telling in just that way, maybe the third/fourth volume in Clan of the Cave Bear.
Thanks for the reference, boatman. I want that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE