Traveling to Europe via Eurostar

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bowser

Jun 10, 2004
Edinburgh
www.britishblades.com
Thanks for the PM Stew, here's my 2p

If there was no provison for the knives to be conveyed securely, they should have been refused travel. I do not believe the police should have been called. They also should have complained on their arrival at the police station (to a senior officer, the constables cannot do anything about it themselves) and refused to accept the caution (legal advice would have been very useful to them here).
From the circumstances described, I would suggest the Constables who arrived at the station were young in service and inexperienced. Its amazing what insight a few years in the job gives you. Their boss 'was not too happy that they had been arrested' may well be true. Once the circumstances were explained to him, there are a few options open, one of which would be confiscation and a caution (In Scotland, we do not have cautions like in England).
I also think the folk involved possibly didnt help themselves, they concealed knives in carry on luggage (no matter how you put it - this is what they did). They should have called ahead and ensured their knives could be safely and securely conveyed.

Comments?

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
I think that everyone is aware of the situation regarding knives and public places. The obvious and sensible option involves contacting whoever you are traveling with before you travel, explain the situation, provide evidence of the trip`s intention if they ask for it, and gain some sort of written confirmation they are aware of what you are carrying and adhere to any and all requests they put forward in how that item is carried while under their responibility.

I have always taken this approach and never had any problems carrying knives and axes through airports, on trains you name it. Be honest and open and should they have a problem, arrange alternate travel for yourself or the item.

As far as the Police are concerned I personally can understand them being all too prepared to confiscate and remove passengers if they feel the item could possibly be a danger to others. At the end of the day, they dont care who, why and what the reasons are for us having a blade, they are simpley working in the interests of public safety.

The responsiblity rests firmly on our shoulders i belive to make sure our trips do not contribute to the concerns many already have that anyone carrying a blade is a nutter of some description. As I said, i have travelled many places and never ever had any problem, in each instance everyone has been made aware of what i`m carrying and the purpose and as i have a ticket in my hand, it has meant they are happy to allow me passage with that item (though obviously always in cargo) so really, with pre-planning, these sorts of things should not happen.

maximus otter

Sep 14, 2003
UK
StewI wonder what the police protocol is on confiscated items.[/QUOTE said:
Our force had a "metal muncher" (a hydraulic guillotine) in an outbuilding. You'd be horrified at what went through it. I used to walk into work and peek into the skip outside every day.

Our force swapped over from Berettas to Glocks. Guess what happened to the Berettas...

maximus "Horrified ex-pistol owner" otter

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE