Transporting an axe and a knife by air to the USA

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Madra rua

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 20, 2004
Ireland
Hi there,
I'm heading to Alaska for the summer and I want to bring my knife and axe along. Obviously I won't try to bring it on board the cabin but I was wondering would any of you know if I'll have a problem if it is stored in my luggage. I'm just concerned because of the increased security and the understandable paranoia of airport officials.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
i have taken swords from dublin airport many times. i have always had them in their own bag and declared them at check in. they have then been taken away seperately from the main baggage. each time i have had to sign a disclaimer etc. its always a relief to get them back at the other end.

friend had his weapons bag "misplaced" at docklands airport London. No one seemed to care that a rifle bag had gome missing full of swords and other toys. i haven't travelled with my kit for a while though.

best check with the airline.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
You will probably come under increased scrutiny. I underwnet a shoe search in Phoenix Arizona along with a Sikhe. He was obviously targeted for his turban, I for a Leatherman and knife in my baggage. We thought itv amusing. the Sikhe was a native born California businessman. I was returning from testing liferafts :oops: . I would simply contact your carriers, tell them of your concerns and ask how best to cooperate. There has been a dramatic increase in theft on board by baggage handlers since many carriers require all baggage remain unlocked. It's a sad change since I served in Alaska. The ( now gone) famous Wien Airline was my carrier betwen Kodiak and Anchorage. I will never forget the lovely flight attendant walking to the cabin with two passenger's hunting rifles. Wien understood the delicacies of optics and actually had a rack in the pilot's cockpit.

H

HaggisBasher

I have travelled to the states three times since 9/11 and each time have had various sharp toys both going and returning.

As long as they are packed safely in your checked bags you will have no problem from the airline. You are also unlikely to be treated any differently by security staff as they dont know whats in your checked bags when you get to the screening desks.

You will probably find a receipt in your bags from the baggage screeners saying that your bag has been opened and searched that happened to me on my most recent trip but it was no hassle the bag was still well packed and nothing was missing.

Have a good trip I'm so jealous

Cheers
Tom

jakunen

Native
A mate of mine used to regularly travel to the US and always took his cross-bow with him.
He declared that he was carrying a lethal weapon at customs, signed the forms and never had any trouble.
He used to love going to customs to get it back and declaring ina loud voice "Hi, I've come to collect my lethal weapon please" and see poeple nervously scurry away... :twisted:

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
I learnt a good tip from a mate in Customs to help keep your bags secure but without having airport security need to bust open your locks (even tho they can open most locks on cases etc v speedily) by using strong plastic cable ties to secure zips and rucksack straps. They can be easily cut off by Customs and they will replace them just like they do if they bust off a mini-padlock from your case. They aren't 100% secure but like everything they reduce opportunity thefts.

My experience is that most knives and multitools like the wave are fine in your main luggage, tho mostly I get stopped asking to open my survival tin as it does look slightly dodgy encased in strips of duct tape and filled with a variety of firestarting materials, sterile sets and fish hooks.

Traveled To Micronesia last december via USA and Japan and Guam (USA) was diving so had a large bak full of Big bits of Stainless Steel (including a large backplate in 3mm thick covering over most of the bag ) plus a couple of Dive knives and travelling with several others with similer bags plus they had 3 ltr steel air bottles ( empty)
I use cable ties because its guarenteed that lot will be opened at least once :-D

but there where no problems only searched the bags at Guam on the way back as a routine Didnt know what a torch was :lol: (large Metal dive Flashlight ) or where England was either.

Funny thing was as you queued up to go through baggage check in there was a sign

' Please ensure all handguns are unloaded before check in '

Honest with a picture of a revolver just to make sure you know what it is :eek:):

ATB

Duncan

D

Duncs

Flew to Canada last summer with axe and knife packed in the 'hold' baggage as already pointed out. When I arrived and went through customs I followed the advice and told the customs officer that I had an axe and a knife with me in my baggage. He just smirked and told me that it was entirely normal and that if I was heading 'up North' he'd think me strange not to have them!

Have a good trip.......I'll be up nights with the new sproglet by then!! :shock:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I had some interesting experiences going to the US in 2002. I must look dodgy because I had bags searched at every oportunity, and had shoes searched once. The Heathrow chap was an idiot, didn't find the 6" knife in the suitcase, despite picking up the clothes it was wrapped in. I decided not to point this out when he asked what my fishing tackle was (in a box with a picture of a fish on it), then asked why the hooks had to be so sharp? :!: :banghead:

On the way back from the US the Atlanta security nearly managed to draw their blood with my knife :roll: . Worst part was the mess they made of my packing. My bag was STUFFED and they churned it all about, then wouldn't let me touch it in case I slipped contraband in. They just wadded it all in and forced the lid down. ARGH!

I will be in Atlanta again in a few weeks and it will be interesting to see what they make of all that I will be buying at the BLADE Show. If I make it back, I will let you know how it goes!

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Well, just got back.

I was carrying two large sheath knives out bound to the US from Gatwick. Suitcase searched, no problems, not even a remark.

On the way back I wanted to keep my back locked so they X-rayed it separately. They did want to open it, but that was only to look at the tin of Nikwax polish and my glasses case.

On the way back I still had my two knives, plus another 3 sheath knives and a Martindale Jungle knife. No problems at all.

As an aside, there is a REALLY funny display in the Atlanta airport, near the carry on security check. A big glass show case giving examples of all the things you can't carry. Clearly it was assembled by a master comedian, and the locals hadn't seen that it was a joke yet! Inside the case there were fireworks, a plastic jerry can for petrol, propane, various poisons, a large lead acid battery, and........A CHAIN SAW!!! :yikes: :lol:

They didn't bother with nail files, nail clipers, or hair pins, but they did remind you to check your chainsaw in!

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
You might want to ship them to your destination before hand and save yourself any aggravation if you have any doubts.
just a thought

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
with the transatlantic shipping services in mind I would ship now for next years holiday.if you wanted them shipped this year you probably already missed the boat :lol: :lol: :lol:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE