Transplanting Ramsons

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
At the Suffolk permission, the landowner is quite keen for us to plant some wild garlic, as there are not any on his land.
The part of the 10 acre wood we use, is now clear enough to allow dappled sunlight to the ground and most of the bramble nettles and Dog mercury have been cleared.
There are now large patches of grass, and some areas of Lords and Ladies (Arum maculatum). I'm thinking of transplanting 100 or so bulbs of wild garlic (Allium ursinum) to near the areas of Lords and Ladies, as they often grow together.
There is also a small brook running through the wood about 4' below the level of the ground, and I'm thinking of planting some on the banks.
I'm planning on doing the planting when I go up to Suffolk at the end of this month. Any advice or tips would be appreciated.

Last edited:

gjclayton

Forager
Sep 24, 2012
Bedfordshire
We did this at a community garden I volunteer at. They transplanted well and didn't die in that first move so we'll see if they come up again this year.
As I understand it they like moist, shaddy areas, so your spot sounds great!

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
Nice initiative. Should be interesting to see this developed.
I can only give your information on how to plant bulbs, and that is to put them well deep. The tip of the bulb should be more than a fingers length below the surface. Seeds, I hear, are hard to succeed with.

But "transplanting" leads me to think you're planning to make some kind of turf grafts from another site? I've done that with other plants, random ferns and mosses with good results.
One tip is to make sure the soils are fairly similar. If the coarseness of the soils varies too much, the capillary "chain" could be broken where the layers interface, and the plants never get to benefit from the ground water.

EDIT: Didn't see gjclaytons post while typing. So I guess I'm right on the graft thing. Scratch the bulbp/seed part of my answer above. Let's hope more tips keep coming.

Last edited:

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Not many of mine came up again but we'll see this year especially as I've knocked the brambles back a bit. I know where to get more anyway should I need to repeat the experiment

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Ramsons grow well from seed too. I have to make sure that I pull up any seedlings that are not in the pots where I grow it in my garden. It's pretty resilient as a plant.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I gave my mar a few bulbs from my local permission. She planted them in a pot and year on year they still come back.

Dont think you will have any problems and they will run wild. They do prefer shade but thats about it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE