trangia wood burner

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
I use a Trangia with a gas conversion but like an open fire to which end I made a Nimblewill Nomad stove. Unfortunately the aluminium was a bit thin and it went bendy.
I have just bought a 2.5 pint Kelly kettle (the canoe group buy price was hard to resist) but can't see the fire pan being much use as an open fire pan. I'd guess that it is difficult to feed with wood.
That made me take a fresh look at my Trangia base and windshield. If I cut a circle of aluminium to fill the burner hole I'd have a fire pan raised off the floor and with pot rests already built in. Smoke would get out around the pans, a draught up through the base of the windshield so all it needs is a hole in the side to feed bits of wood in. I could make a flap to close of the hole when using the gas burner.
Before I start with the tinsnips can anybody see, or know of, a flaw with this idea?

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
some woods burn hotter than others. i wouldn't expect it to last long in contact with direct flames / embers without melting / buckling. I've seen saucepans made of thicker aluminium burn through when they've been allowed to boil dry.
if you can, get a piece of similar type scrap aluminium, build a wood fire and chuck it in... see what happens to it.. just an idea before you destroy a relatively expensive trangia

that's my 2p

Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE