Trangia stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

seanc

Nov 13, 2005
Berkshire UK
Hi all

Can someone answer a question about these stoves:

When they burn should the flame be a single collumn from the center bowl or should it be in a circle around the holes on the rim?

Thanks

Sean

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
hello :)
my swedish army one starts as a single column and settles out into a ring around the holes in the rim, i've got a normal trangia set aswell but i haven't noticed with that, i assume its the same.
hope that helps

seanc

Nov 13, 2005
Berkshire UK
Thanks guys

I had a center flame and nothing else. Have cleaned the jets and now it burns around the rim. The fuel disolved the lining of the MSR fuel bottle i was storing it in and the resulting gunk clogged it up :(

What should i use to store the fuel, any ideas.?

Cheers

Sean

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
tomtom said:
the Sigg (red) bottles are good (i have a feeling these are the same as the trangia ones anyway!?)

I read some bad things about the Sigg bottle ( ithink well best to tell than not )
I heard something along the lines of FIREBALLS and LOOSE THREADS and alsorts of TENT BURNINGS etcetc.
If i'm wrong then sorry but was it sir Ralf feynes ( sp? ) who had an accident where the fuel gradually leaked through loose threads on the bottle and when he lit the stove the whole tent went up?
Like i said this is solely my opinion and not necasserily that of anyone else and what i have said may be complete rubbish.
I would check though. ;)

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
interesting i hadn't heard that, i know a lot of people who have always used them and never had problems. sigg bottles have an 'o'ring on the lip so im not sure how a lose thread can release fule?

multi fules are a lot more dangerous that camp gas anyhow.. i dont know if sigg bottles are safe or not, but i wouldnt advise anyone to use one in a tent!

Batfink

Forager
Jul 18, 2004
Newbury, Berks, UK
www.alexpye.net
I use a Trangia fuel bottle (below) when out and about, but as soon as I come home I try and use up the fuel as quickly as possible to avoid storing it. It sounds wasteful, but i'd rather buy a small bottle for a weekend away, than a big "value" bottle and have to store it at home and have the 'O' rings perish and me know nothing about it until I need to use it!!
TFB05L.jpg

Another method which is really cheap and easy is to keep the bottle the meths is bought in, transfer it to the trangia bottle for use, then transfer any remaining contents back into the original bottle for storage.

directdrive

Forager
Oct 22, 2005
USA
I use Trangia exclusively and have for years. I've always stored my fuel in Nalgene fuel bottles and have had no problems with them at all. I like the plastic (which is thick walled and durable) because it does not dent or bend like an aluminum bottle can and will.

The Trangia burner always starts in the center. After heating up, it causes pressure to build in the ring which forces the fuel to flow through the burner ring holes and ignite.....hench the pressurized burn, such as it is.....:) Hope this helps. Tight Lines to All.......Bruce

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE