trangia help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

trikey

Sep 7, 2004
nottingham
sorry if it`s a daft question but i car`nt figure it our, the lid on my old burner broke so i brought a new trangia meths burner, on the lid is a seperate lid that comes off and has a piece that pivots round, i presume the top with the pivot closed is to put the flame out but why does it open out, PLEASE help i`m using it tomorrow
cheers
Sean

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
It's a simple (but very effective) variable flame lid thingy (that is the technical term).

Open the pivoting lid to the desired amount and pop it onto the burner - you can now control how much flame gets to the pot.

Simple.

BTW Under no cirmstances touch the lid with your fingers. Sure you can flip it off if you're quick but if you're slow about it, you'll end up with a fingerprint burnt onto it for all time.

Like mine has :)

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
i agree a simmer ring,
i have never used mine its only use for me has been to snuff out the flame before packing it away.
if it is stiff it's because it's brand new, put some WD40 or vaseline on it and wiggle it, the WD40/vaseline will burn of when you use the cooker safely.

in my own opinion i wouldn't bother, taking it if you're used to using the trangia without, it's extra weight and not that usefull anyway. :)

trikey

Sep 7, 2004
nottingham
cheers for the advice, took the kids to sherwood pines today and had a quick brew while there, did`nt use as a simmering thingy but was great for putting out the flame.
sean

May 30, 2006
Australia
The simmer ring should always be used to snuf the flame other wise the actual lids ruber seal becomes melted and you then spill metho all through your bag.

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
Bump

Oh yes indeed, after running many, many courses involving camping and Trangias, by far the biggest mistake made by the uninitiated is to screw the lid onto a hot burner. Say goodbye to the rubber seal and hello to blocked burner holes.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Oh and give the sharp cut edge on the simmering ring a quick go over with a file cos they are bloody sharp when new.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE