Trangia gasket question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Hi guys, just aquired a Swedish Army Trangia Mess Kit (used) and the military burner leaks around the cap. The gasket looks well worn.
Does the civvy gasket fit the military one or does anyone know where to get a replacement from?
Thanks in advance for any info. :)

Rob.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
I have both the civilian and military models. The gaskets appear to be the same size. Replacements are commonly available, just google "trangia gasket".

Although when you say "leaks", you're not trying to transport fuel in the burner are you? Generally the burners should be burned clean before storage and transport.

Sometimes I will extinguish them to decant unburnt fuel, but I'll then always reignite the burner just to get rid of the remaining fuel. It is impossible to decant all the fuel.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I believe they're different sizes. Military Mart have the spare washers for the military burner - I've got replacements from there before.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
OK AndyBB is right, they are different sizes. It is almost imperceptible to the naked eye, but when I swapped the gaskets from my two stoves around and put them in one another's caps, it was clear the military one is slightly bigger. It will fit in the civilian one reasonably well, but the reverse is not true.

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
I had a leaky Swedish army stove as well, but it was down to a tiny crack in the lid. (you may want to check just in case). I bought a civvy trangia burner as a replacement and it has been ok since. Right or wrong I do carry unused fuel in the burner, without any leaks. No point in wasting it.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Cheers Wook and Andy BB for your very quick replies.:You_Rock_

I was not intending to transport fuel in the burner, though I have read you can in various posts/yutube posts but after a test burn (and no I did not snuff out the flame with gasket in place :nono: )but decided to test the theory, which then led to further examination.:D

Rob.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I always check the seal on my burner before a trip out (OK, I don't, but I try to remember to!). However, double zip-lok bag the burner, and you're good to go without tainting the rest of your kit. One of the big advantages of the Trangia/SVEA burners is that you can leave unused fuel in them, but better to be safe than sorry!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE