Trangia Fuel

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
It works well but you should probably wear gloves when fueling stoves....it seeps through your skin and can be fatal. :(
There was some talk about this for making methanol out of coal for third world countries but I think the idea was abandoned because of this problem!
IIRC there was 183 methanol related deaths in 1995 but I think I got the year wrong!

nige7whit

Forager
Feb 10, 2009
Brize Norton / Midlands (rest)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
It works well but you should probably wear gloves when fueling stoves....it seeps through your skin and can be fatal. :(
There was some talk about this for making methanol out of coal for third world countries but I think the idea was abandoned because of this problem!
IIRC there was 183 methanol related deaths in 1995 but I think I got the year wrong!

Your right, but I don't spill fuel (years of practise;) ) or wash in the stuff. This is the first lot I've paid for as I was given a load last year and the price of meths even bulk buying has gone silly. I use a Heat Pal alcohol marine heater/stove in my Juno 800 but using meths would have made that prohibitive price wise, about £5 a night as opposed to £1.25 with the methanol.

"Methanol is also a widely used fuel in camping and boating stoves. Methanol burns well in an unpressurized burner, so alcohol stoves are often very simple, sometimes little more than a cup to hold fuel. This lack of complexity makes them a favorite of hikers who spend extended time in the wilderness" quote from Wiki but you get my drift.

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
Your right, but I don't spill fuel (years of practise;) ) or wash in the stuff. This is the first lot I've paid for as I was given a load last year and the price of meths even bulk buying has gone silly. I use a Heat Pal alcohol marine heater/stove in my Juno 800 but using meths would have made that prohibitive price wise, about £5 a night as opposed to £1.25 with the methanol.

"Methanol is also a widely used fuel in camping and boating stoves. Methanol burns well in an unpressurized burner, so alcohol stoves are often very simple, sometimes little more than a cup to hold fuel. This lack of complexity makes them a favorite of hikers who spend extended time in the wilderness" quote from Wiki but you get my drift.

At that price it's worth the risk haha :lmao:
I want to have a look at distilling Ethanol but I think the licenses are a bit pricey!

EdS

Wait, I don't understand. What's the difference between this and meths? I thought meths was (mostly) methanol?

No meths - methalated spirits is ethanol that has 5 -10% methanol added to make it undrinkable - custom and excise. It also has bitrex added these days as a safety feature, hence the taste.

Methanol is nasty stuff but the amount you will come into contact wit husing it for stoves is neglible - the CoSHH and safety data are for people using it on an industrial sale really

Methanol will work fine in stove but does not produce quiet the same amount of heat as ethanol based fuel -

Last edited:

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
Interesting. So wouldn't this stuff have a lower calorific value then, being methanol rather than ethanol - one carbon instead of two?

armie

Life Member
Jul 10, 2009
The Netherlands
Interesting. So wouldn't this stuff have a lower calorific value then, being methanol rather than ethanol - one carbon instead of two?

According to Wikipedia (don't have my chemical tables handy), methanol does have a lower calorific value than ethanol. I can't find a reason why though.

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
It makes sense to me that it would, for the same reasons that butane has a higher calorific value than propane. So I think you'll be saving on money with the fuel, but losing out on the weight of fuel you would need to bring.

It would be interesting to see a comparison of the two fuels for the same burner to see if the difference is significant.

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
The dif between methanol and ethanol (from a practical use) is not enough to worry about.
For two cups of water you are prob talking of less then an extra min.
The dif in cost in the UK is horrendus.
I had a 500 ml bottle of pure ethanol(99.999% until you open it as it is hygroscopic). The duty was £17.50!!
I use methanol that i buy in 25Liter lots(99.999% pure).
With regards to the toxicity of methanol, yes it is but so is every other fuel.
Treat with respect and you are fine.
Alan

alecf

Forager
Jun 7, 2009
Nr Reading
We've been using a big 5L tub labelled "alcool à brûler". Was cheap stuff from a french supermarket...
Its not purple either, its clear I think. Smells much the same though.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
It makes sense to me that it would, for the same reasons that butane has a higher calorific value than propane. So I think you'll be saving on money with the fuel, but losing out on the weight of fuel you would need to bring.

It would be interesting to see a comparison of the two fuels for the same burner to see if the difference is significant.

I,ve being buying meths in 5 litre tubs and its not that bad for what I use it for (in terms of price), but the big difference for me is using it in an alcohol heater which I why I switched over. My old Heat Pal will use a litre a night to heat the tent, plus another litre if I want to keep a kettle or stew on the go during the day.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE