Trangia alternatives?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rich.H

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2010
N.Ireland
I'm looking to get a meth stove set but funds are a bit tight. Ideally I was looking at the Trangia 27 with kettle set. But I have had a look around and seen a few versions of this from other places for half the cost, two of which are here.

http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/s...oves/cooking-set-with-meths-stove-232483.html

http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-cook-set-and-burner-787083

Anyone had any experience with these cheaper versions? Are they half the quality in addition to half the price? As long as I get 12 months from it I'm happy as I can then upgrade to a Trangia.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
I also have the asaklitt set. Very good for heating up food and boiling water. Not so good for frying, as the aluminium used is not teflon coated. easy enough to get a non stick cake pan to use as a frying pan, and add a flame reducer made from the base of a 12 oz drink can.

Dunx

Apr 8, 2013
West Wales
Got the miltec version from amazon.... Not bad, but as above not great fro frying. Also the burners cap doesnt seal well and leaks meths if you leave any in it...

Sep 1, 2012
Manchester
Something I like about the Asaklit style of stove is that the pot is very well supported for stirring. In a Trangia clone with little folding pot rests this is always a two handed job because the pot skates about and needs to be held with the potgripper. This is not the case when the pot is supported by the edge of the windscreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cjIZ_-mV0Y

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
+1 for the Gelert sets. I got the mini one, mainly because I like the pot. I did a few tests of the burner, and it compared favourably with the Trangia. The flame wasn't as even, but it boiled water just as quickly - or slowly, depending on your point of view. The one drawback to it was the simmer ring. The swivel part of it didn't sit down properly on the main part, so it wasn't terribly controllable. The pot itself is great - it's now my main solo pot.

I've seen the bigger sets in action too, and they're really the same as the trangia ones. The quality of the aluminium is good.

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
Save your money and buy a trangia. Will last years, mine has. It might seem expensive but they really are worth it in the long run.

Last edited:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Meta-50? Solidly built, and has the added advantage of being able to use 2 pans at once - say heating water for a brew whilst your stew bubbles away!
It's also stupidly fast boiling water - I think it must have to do with the angled pans.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
soooo the burners not going in the wood burner ?

I'd go for a multifuel then if your going to be static. Meths is ok for occasional part time and lightweight use but is a bit heavy maintainence, especially in warm conditions, it starts off weak ,gets to optimum, and before you know it the entire reservoir is boiling away, and when you leave it to cool it just evapourates, in no way will it replace a heavyweight cooking option like a wood burner, imvlho owinw fyi. Like a wild fire ! Or something !

Edit.

Cant vouch for it, havn't got one, but apparrently there are steel trangias military grade, that you can have a fire in too.

Last edited:

Rich.H

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2010
N.Ireland
Thanks for all the variations I went with the Clas Ohlson for the time being. The Trangia I have is this one http://www.militarymart.co.uk/index.php?_a=product&product_id=2322 Had it years but it was an impulse buy before I even knew how they worked. This resulted in me using parts of it and the rest sitting in a box.

While it's still in near perfect condition I do like the newer designs with more pots/pans etc. But does anyone know if this older Trangia design has a good burner that would be worth swapping out the Clas Ohlson one for? Finally what sort of container do folks use for carrying fuel? I'm a little apprehensive about just using a plastic bottle to find at the end of a day its broken and leaked all over my bergen.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... does anyone know if this older Trangia design has a good burner that would be worth swapping out the Clas Ohlson one for?

The brass military burner (if that's what you mean) is heavier and takes longer to 'bloom' than the civvy one. I have several similar burners and they all work fine but most of the civvy brass ones have leaked on me. Not everyone has had the same experience, that's just mine.

Finally what sort of container do folks use for carrying fuel? I'm a little apprehensive about just using a plastic bottle to find at the end of a day its broken and leaked all over my bergen.

I would have no hesitation at all carrying meths in one of the drinks bottles made from PET (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyethylene_terephthalate).
I use them all the time. They're more or less free, they're light and very tough, although they can split under pressure if you nick them with a knife or other sharp object.
The ones that contain carbonated water or other gassy drinks are likely to have good stoppers which won't come undone unexpectedly.
Make sure that you label the bottle clearly if you use something like that.
If you can afford proper fuel bottles obviously from the point of view of clarity it's better but they do tend to be heavy and some of them don't pour so well.
For meths I like the Trangia fuel bottles, they pour reasonably well but the stoppers have a habit of seizing up. http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=trangia fuel bottle
I wouldn't use unprotected aluminium drinks bottles for meths, they tend to corrode if left full for a long time.
I always carry a little contact lens solution bottle of meths for priming stoves and starting fires.

Sep 1, 2012
Manchester
A friend of mine once found herself dribbling a trail of meths across a train station after the bottle it was bought in got squashed in her backpack.

I have a Trangia fuel bottle. It is a bit pricey but the nozzles are great for accurate metering of fuel. Its worth getting if you are going to be using a meths burner a lot.

The Swedish military meths burner is much larger in diameter than the civilian Trangia one so it wont be a swap fit. The civvy simmer ring doesnt fit on the military burner either. You can use the civvy burner with the oval-section military pans (where the burner just sits on the ground) to get the use of the simmer ring. Adding a potgripper to wrangle the pans and the windshield is a good idea too.

Chillistarr

Apr 24, 2012
Edinburgh
Had pretty similar results from the real-mcCoy (if elderly) Trangias I used in Scouts as I have from my Lidl knock-off (tiny camping kettle from Tesco fits inside nicely too...) or the oval mil version, though mine is Swedish. Points re weight/mass of burner and lack of non-stick already made are both valid. As for bottles, I tend to go with old washing-up-liquid bottles (clear plastic, flip-top style) - good seal, tough plastic, squeezy and a nice controllable stream rather than a pour. Needs consideration when packing to avoid it rubbing up against something else and popping the lid open, but so far, this has never happened with mine. The bottle that came in my Swedish one is pretty good, if a little on the small side.

Reactions: DaftHaggis

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE