Trail trash friction fire.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MegaWoodsWalker

Forager
Jul 10, 2014
Connecticut USA
As part of my conditioning hikes I like to spin a coal or two for extra physical activity for the upper body. When the friction fire attempt runs into trouble that only means more of a work out. Often these hikes start late pushing into the night. It was a good day.

Wild strawberries in this open area.

Heading up to higher country. I do this hike maybe 3 times a week changing it up with other trails during those outings.

The mountain laurels are in bloom. Some flowers are pink and others white. Not sure why they're different. Too lazy to Google it.

The higher scrub is my favorite type of country.

The blueberries aren't ready yet. These are one of the pros to being up here.

My usual resting spot. The Kifaru pointman was 28 lbs today. Much too heavy for a dayhike but that's part of the fun.

I always pick up trash in the woods. Not too many people hike this spot but will find the occasional can or wrapper which was the case here. So why not use them for a friction fire practice? My extra thin jacket was out for a knee pad on the rocks but the moss worked just fine.

Bearing block ready to GO! Aluminum cans have relatively low friction but are sharp when crushed and transfer heat easily. All and all uncomfortable to hold. I have cut myself a few times doing this in the past. The spindle can easily fly out as well. They can be improved upon but not the perfect bearing block. They are fast to modify and unfortunately tossed about as trash so all too often available. These pros make them usable but again not prefect.

Burn in over. It went smoothly enough which tends to be a good sign.

The V-notch cut. I am going to use the wrapper to hold the coal. What could possibly go wrong?

Got a coal fast but almost instantly it started to melt though the plastic.

It's amateur hour in the high scrub! The coal fell through the wrapper into the tinder bundle however it disintegrated. Not enough held together to blow into flames. What was I expecting. A coal not to melt plastic? If this had been my only shot at getting a fire in bad circumstances it would have been over. Then again if I was totally dependent on this horse and pony show to get a fire maybe better planing is in order? Yup I got matches, lighters and a firesteel.

Tossed the wrapper into my pack changing it out for an oak leaf. Spun another coal however the spindle flew out before I had time to build it up. Kinda sad little thing and without a coal extender I failed to blow it into flames.

I find with friction fire in field conditions often once it goes beyond 3 tries the odds of success greatly decrease. I speculate it's a combination of factors.

1. You're getting more worn out with each attempt.

2. The set isn't good and the 4th try won't change that.

3. The bugs are on to you in the summer or you're getting colder in the winter.

4. The weather or lighting conditions change the longer it takes and very often it seems to go downhill.

But on the third try we have success. A nice fat coal which should hold together just fine once allowed to solidify.

The baby has been delivered.

Tools of the trade for dayhikes which go into night. I also have a Fenix HP12 headlamp in addition to the flashlight.

The hike out.

That's it for the trail trash friction fire. Thank for looking.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thanks for a wonderful trip. Would you have done that if Momma Black or Momma Grizz had a pair of cubs just off in the woods that you didn't see?

MegaWoodsWalker

Forager
Jul 10, 2014
Connecticut USA
Thanks for a wonderful trip. Would you have done that if Momma Black or Momma Grizz had a pair of cubs just off in the woods that you didn't see?

Oddly enough just today a bear was resting on the very same mossy spot as my pack in the photo. I also was there last night teaching someone how to do a friction fire. We night hiked in as I think high scrub under the stars is fantastic setting for a person to spin their first coal. He was able to get a coal but failed to blow it into flames. We hike out late around 1am. I had a 30 lbs pack and he a 15 lb but also a 25 lb weight vest and of all things a 16 lb sledge hammer which was a joy when climbing down some small ledges. All done in the name of conditioning. Still I felt uneasy which is rather unusual for me. Maybe it was the bear walking up the driveway the day before on my mind? Don't know but just felt something was near. I have powerful flashlights but they showed nothing. In any case today the bear ran off and given the location to those ledges I decided to hike back. Too bad as had another friction fire on top and run planed once I hiked out to a dirt road. The entire blue trail is about 8-miles long. I guess it's another trail until those blueberries ripen and are eaten.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
There is no debate if you get between the sow and the cubs. None.
Several top-knotch woodsmen in my district just got unlucky in the last couple of years.
The most effective thing to do is to make an extraordinary amount of noise, crashing through the bush.
That's often enough to get the bears to move away, possibly 1/4 mile in front of you.
But, they love to circle back and come up your six.
In daylight, a 12 double with 3" SSG is the only effective bear spray that I know of.

EddieP

Forager
Nov 7, 2013
Liverpool
I'm off to Greenland in 3 weeks, the polar bears are my biggest fear. I will be tooled up, but I'm not sure anyone makes a gun light enough to carry that hits hard enough to guarantee the right outcome. That said, I do realise that I'm in their back yard.

Sorry to take it off topic. Well done for making use of the crap and clearing it up too.

NarzaCyst

Tenderfoot
Sep 30, 2014
Cardiff
Good read Walker, I was cursing you last night with you making a coal so easily twice. Tonight's a different matter.

Narza

MegaWoodsWalker

Forager
Jul 10, 2014
Connecticut USA
I'm off to Greenland in 3 weeks, the polar bears are my biggest fear. I will be tooled up, but I'm not sure anyone makes a gun light enough to carry that hits hard enough to guarantee the right outcome. That said, I do realise that I'm in their back yard.

Sorry to take it off topic. Well done for making use of the crap and clearing it up too.

Brother, bears and rattlers are NEVER off topic in a bushcraft forum. :lmao:

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE