Trail magazine

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I'm not a great fan of Trail magazine - it is utterly kit obsessed, tries too hard to be funny and famously once printed the wrong bearing to get off Ben Nevis....anyone following it would have walked over an edge :eek: :eek: :eek:

Nevertheless, I bought the current one as they sent a reporter on a bushcraft course. He starts off being very cynical, having a nasty dig at Ray Mears, etc but ends up at least partially converted.

Another article is on drinking from hill streams. They actually sent water for bacteriological testing, and the results are not good :eek: again.

Maybe worth a flick through in the newsagents.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I do suscribe to Trail as they have some cracking walks etc and I don't mind the articles too much, as for being obsessed with kit... hmmm how many threads have we got here :p

The school was survival school, considering the reporter went with a very pessimistic view, I didn't think he did too badly from it now if only he had the sense to relate what he learnt to his normal camping style I'm sure he'd save a lot of weight.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
They do pick out some good walks right enough. Ben A'an is listed - quite a well known walk but nevertheless a brilliant way to spend 2 hours.

In fairness to them they also sent sleeping bags for independent testing. It is rare to see such rigorous assessment outside of Which? magazine.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Hopefully going up to Tryfen (Glyders) in a couple of weeks to try out a coupld of the Trail walks and have a look at the Cantilever, also we'll hopefully go up the top to Adam and Eve although I'm not sure I've got the nerve to step across.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
I get Trail every month, I think it's fine as magazines go. Certainly better than most out there - and yes, the walks are great. There's nothing wrong with an obsession about kit - just think how you could do better with bushcraft. The bushcraft article was alright, it's just a shame it was so short and had so little detail.
Tomtom, you'll get it in any TM retail chain, that's Martins, McColls, Forbuoys and the other one, I forget what. Smiths too I'd imagine.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I've never seen Trail magazine,
Though I've been looking for a mag that might provide for our needs. Another down side is that unless I can convince our local shop (very small village) to stock it - I'm unlikely to get it regularly. Does the mag have a web linked address?

Lithrill - hope you have a great time up on Tryfan, I jumped Adam & Eve many years ago but not sure if I'd want to do it again now. You might be passing through my neck of the woods, which again I hope you enjoy.

ATB

Ogri the trog

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
Thanks for the info.

I'm a TGO man, meself, as it doesn't suffer too badly from "EMAP blight", but I'll pick up Trail this month, now.

Jim.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE