Trail cam recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Deck

Forager
Dec 31, 2010
Moray
Hi all

My mum has a big birthday coming up and my brother and I are going to club together to get her a trail cam. What would you recommend for £100-£200?

Thanks in advance

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
I bought:
[h=1]Acorn 5210 Pro IR 940nm Wildlife Trail Infrared Camera [/h]I have been trialling it over the last few weeks. From what I can gather all trail cams have set backs. They are also very diverse too. Some things I considered were I wanted something that worked well but not too pricey that if it got stolen it would really hurt!

My cam seems to do the job. I have set it up so it takes a pic first, then 60 sec video. Can do this through night too.
[video=youtube;Z-OSgnMwUm0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-OSgnMwUm0[/video]

I have had a few teething problems though. It would initially only record 3 sec video. I searched the internet and luckily found out that it needs its support batteries otherwise it will only do 3 secs. So its best to play at home for a while until you are ready to put it in the field. I have found it hard to place though as most places, if people can see it, it can get stolen.

You might want to think about getting 2 of you have a bigger budget. That way you will have more coverage so if one draws blank there is the other to check.

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I use a slightly older Bushnell trail cam (bone collector model I think) and it's been great. The only problem for me is the shutter noise is slightly loud on photo, barely audable to us but enough to put some shy animals off. I just use video though so it's not a problem. If I was buying again I'd probably go for something with the best quality video that you can get in your price range.

This stuff works really well if you want to make it more camoflage by the way:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jack-Pyke-S...UTF8&qid=1390832946&sr=8-5&keywords=camo+tape

Gweedo

Forager
Jun 23, 2005
Wales
If you can wait, Aldi do their own brand trail camera for about £80 or so. I bought one last year and it appears to be an acorn clone. I'm very pleased with it.

Jackdaw

I have used the Acorn 5210 for some time now using them to monitor badger setts or otter couches etc. and I have not had any issues with them. They are very cheap compared to other similar models. They use either 4 or 8 AA batteries (using the extension/mounting pack) and with an 8 gb SD card I have left them in place for over a week and they were still going strong.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE