Totally Off Topic, but you lot know so much good info.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We need to re-panel two walls in the bathroom. The panels (don't buy sparkle narrow boards, they delaminate and flake off like the worst case of dandruff you have ever seen :sigh: the metre wide boards seem absolutely sound though and I'm not covering them up) are basically sound but the surface is a mess. I bought plastic tiles and I want to stick them on top of the messy looking ones. These tile panels are 60 x 40 cms sized, 3mm thick, and I reckon they'll cut easily.

Anyone have a good recommendation for a glue though ? Something that will stick plastic to plastic and not melt either of them ? The folks who sold me them just say they'll stick (and they haven't said plastic to plastic and not to gyproc) with 'polymer glue available in any DIY store….thing is though, there're thousands of different glues and I don't know which ones will actually do the job.

Reading that it all sounds a total mess, but having tried the tiles up agin the wall, it honestly looks as though I planned it in the first place and it'll look fine :)

Any help appreciated :)
M

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Unless you get a better suggestion "sikaflex" will stick almost anything to anything
sikaflex polyurethane glue

Very very good stuff, and moisture curing so you don't need utterly dry surfaces. It expands a little when curing so you need to use it sparingly.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
sikaflex polyurethane glue

Very very good stuff, and moisture curing so you don't need utterly dry surfaces. It expands a little when curing so you need to use it sparingly.

Tis good, but expensive

I'v used it for everything from shower cubicle boards in a campsite shower block, to roof ridge tiles, to most of a boat
Sticks like whatsit to a blanket :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Just looked that up, but there seems to be dozens of different versions of it.
Priced from £6.95 to £10.95 a tube. Which one should I be looking for please ?

M

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Mary , bear in mind sikaflex is just a brand name and probably the industry standard. i used a fai bit on our rv. You can get really good cheaper alternatives. Hope whatever you use , sees you reyt.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Toddy, I used a variety of the Sikaflex brand fitting out a steel yacht. Steel to wood, wood to formica etc: There are cheaper alternative brands but Sikaflex does have (still applies I hope) a really good technical advice facility as to exactly which product to use for various jobs.
I can't remember if it's the same number I used but currently 01603 301122 will get you through to their office.

The good folk in Scewfix, although helpful, may not be the best advisors. :)

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Sika produce a range of products us d in the construction industry, they have a reputation for quality products. I would use their products without any concerns and as said before they have a good help desk.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Are you guys sure it's ok for wet / shower room ? this was taken from the sales blurb

High strength construction adhesive. Fast curing time with powerful initial grab. Multipurpose and permanently elastic. Also suitable for joint sealing and filling.
  • For Interior & Exterior Use
  • Dry Conditions Only
  • Excellent Adhesion to Most Common Building Materials
  • Elastic Properties allow Thermal Movement in Substrates

Toddy, have a looksee at TEC 7..........http://tec7.ie/product/tec7-sealant/

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I did wonder about that.
It's basically to repanel over existing panels. Hopefully it'll be dry when I start (I'll dry out the room with a dehumidifier first once I've got the last of the loose layers off and cleaned up) and the new panels will be dry going on, but….how the hang does the glue set in between two layers of plastic ? :dunno:

M

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Those adhesives don't depend on air contact for drying, Mary; it's a purely chemical thing and it doesn't matter that the parts being glued are tucked away. Same as when you mix up plaster you can't stop it going hard in a bucket by putting water atop it, it's the chemical workings of the Gypsum that sets it off.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Okay, that makes sense; thanks Mac :D

I'm going to go out tomorrow and see what I can find that'll do this tidily.
Any idea of what kind of coverage I can expect from each tube of glue though ?

Thanks for all the input folks :D It's appreciated.

M

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
If there's a builder's merchants near you I'd go there and ask them to advise you; unlike those who work in the "boxshifter" places such as Screwfix the guys in the merchants usually have decent level of knowledge of
the stuff they sell.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Any idea of what kind of coverage I can expect from each tube of glue though

If you are thinking of coating the back of a tile with it then you'd get, dunno....about three tiles to a tube maybe. But if yer just putting four or five blobs on the back of a tile then one tube will go a fair way

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
These are the same as the tiles I bought. I have fifty of them, but I reckon I ought to only need just over forty.
I played it safe :)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plastic-W...465935?hash=item3f56d0d3cf:g:ohcAAOSwgQ9VsosG

They're very thin, but flexible, they don't feel at all fragile or 'crispy' type plastic. They should work fine because it means I don't need to remove the silver edging strips against the large panels at the shower or against the ceiling that are absolutely sound. These new tiles will just lie snuggly up against those and I can seal the edge tidily.
I had thought that if I put a thin line of the glue on the underside of the silver infill bits since those are the bits that will be in direct contact with the present panels anyway, and any excess with squeeze into the raised panel area of the tile.

The alternative was to strip the walls back to the bone, replace the gyproc (probably have to remove the ceiling too since those panels went up last and the others are all glued into the ceiling cornice sealing edge strips) and start from scratch.
It's late Autumn, I am already finding it hard to be motivated to start anything new, if I can do this simply and tidily and be happy enough with the result for a few years until it's time to totally gut and replace the bathroom fittings, I'll be content.
The walls and ceiling and floor can all be stripped back to boards and framing then, but I'm in no notion to do it just now.
I wish I'd just used the full sized panels right round the whole room, but the narrower ones seemed such a good idea for fitting into awkward corners and the like, and round the window and door.

Rather an odd topic for here, but I am grateful for the advice :D

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE