Tonight im going to be Batman.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
After buying the wife a bat detector a few years ago and it being used twice, decided due as nowt on tv we would go out at sundown, went to Kearsney abbey near Dover and saw/heard loads, pippistrelles flying under the trees and then when near the river changed the frequency and saw/heard loads of Daubentens, wife and I where well chuffed, now lokking for a decent small hd video camera with night view.
will be popping out a lot more and finding different places,
Stuck our sightings on the Kent Bat group to help others.

Reactions: Toddy

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I opened the thread expecting to hear about jumping from wardrobes and never going out without Robin... instead, actual bats. Disappointed... very disappointed.

• Haha
Reactions: Toddy and cbrdave

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
Always best to save it for weekends,
I must admit I'm pretty chuffed seeing so many, will be out got a few days off so will be out over next few evenings to find more.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Good on you :) Apparently we've got four kinds around here, though I only really see two, and not clearly. They're well named flittermice, all I see is a quick moving blur of wings, and hear high pitched chattering, as they scout along the trees for moths.
The streetlights are close to the treeline so they do a quick end run around those too. Blink and you miss them though.
One of the countryside rangers keeps promising to come out and do a 'bat detection' evening so we can hear them clearly and work out which species we actually have feeding here.

M

Reactions: cbrdave

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
Thanks Toddy, they are quick, took my edc torch out and found it wasn't up to much but in the lamp light you could get a quick view of them.
Going online shopping later for a good pocket torch and a video camera.
Pretty hooked on Bat detecting, may join the Kent bat group.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
We have a bat that swoops up and down the back garden at different times of the year, but I've no idea where it lives, what type it is or anything. Doesn't half give you a fright when it swoops and you're not expecting it... its a fast little blighter.

Reactions: Toddy and cbrdave

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
We had one in our garden a couple of years ago, that was the reason for buying the bat detector, we had to reduce the size of our pond and a load of trees got cut around us, haven't seen it since unfortunately, its amazing how fast and close they fly.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
A bit of a thread resurrection but are there any other active bat detector on here?

We regularly see bats flying at dusk and recently I spent a couple of nights sleeping in the barn (don’t ask!) and there were some larger bats flying (Brown long-eared?) around in there.

I’ve just bought a Magenta 5 detector and printed off all the Bat Conservation Trust bumf and frequency chart but since getting it, the weather has not been great for bats. I’ve only picked up pipistelles so far but I know that there are Brown long ears locally.

Any other flittermouse nerds out there?

Reactions: cbrdave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE