Tomy: My First Bush Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jimmeh

May 20, 2010
London
Hey guys and girls,

I'm looking to branch out my small knife collection (mainly multi tools for IT work and a nice whitby lock knife). I currently don't own anything fixed blade or bush/survival oriented, and i'd love to! I once had a nice little opinel 8, but after lending it around a camp fire in africa it mysteriously disappeared.. ahem. I guess the kid that got hold of it is enjoying it much more than i ever would! i never got on with the clip system anyway.

So i've looked around, i see much praise for Mora kit, but i can't get over the plastic/rubberised handles, im a traditionalist and i love the Wood handle, leather sheeth combo. Looking at something on the lower price bracket if i can, im happy to spend £10, and im happy to spend probably up to £40.. if it's worth it and it'd last me. I've seen http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/joker-olive-wood-handled-fixed-blade-knife-3806-p.asp and i also like the look of the condor bushlore knife, but looking at user closeup pictures i'm not confident of the build quality.

I bought this for the mrs a while back, she loved my whitby lock knife: http://www.whitbyandco.co.uk/rangeview.cfm?parentitemid=70&rangeid=970&keywords=
seems to have stayed much sharper than my one, which is a grey version of this:
http://www.whitbyandco.co.uk/rangeview.cfm?parentitemid=70&rangeid=1009&keywords=

Anyway, looking for some suggestions, i cant find much in that price bracket, and i've not seen a concrete opinion of to what's the best in that price range.

Cheers!

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Go for a mora classic, they have the standard great blade but with a stick tang and wooden handle.

I've heard great things about the condor bushlore, the build quality is fine but it won't be finished like a shiney expensive knife. They also come with brilliant sheaths.

It depends on your budget though mate, if you can and want to spend more do it but get some practice with a cheaper mora (£10-30). Alot of people are put off by the plastic handle but alot of chaps with the most popular and expensive knives still grab their mora for alot of things!

jimmeh

May 20, 2010
London
not a bad idea, what tools are typically required? I've got a dremmel at work that may be a good one to try?

is it possible to bolt through the tang on the cheaper Mora's ? i see lots of places sell knife making kits, the Mora classic seems like a great blade too. wonder if i could make it look a bit like a bowie, i love the design of this:

joker-olive-wood-handled-fixed-blade-knife-3806-p.jpg

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Or buy a condor Bushlore, and rehandle that if you don't like it in the flesh- at least then you have a full tang to work from, and with a bit more effort you could probably finish the blade to a high standard too?

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
speek to a maker and talk about a kit, i have done them in the past, but just the blade, scales and pins etc etc, no sheath kit, all in your price range....

regards.

chris.

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
iam useing a 2011 model condor bushlore hennies sell them for 30quid with leather sheath bargain the 2010 model and before was alot worse but the 2011 model is a good workhorse and bloody good for the money

jimmeh

May 20, 2010
London
i mean, i can afford it - but i know people are happier with a lot less and i dont think my zero bushcraft skill warrants such nice gear. yet.

I'll just sit in envy for now, and im sure the condor is more than enough for me... heh, by far.

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
defently look at the condor all the bad reviews on the condor bushlore are from 2010 and before they realy updthere game on the 2011 model ,carbon steel leather sheath full tang hand made its a good knife for the money plus it will take a good beating and is easy to sharpen

Jan 30, 2007
inverness
i was on the hunt for a cheap bush knife , this looks like the job, i also read the old reviews on the condor, might invest in one and put my wee puukko out to pasture

jimmeh

May 20, 2010
London
Just to update - i've ordered one of these and i will provide a brief review of it when it arrives :)

see if i can avoid hacking down my neighbours trees.. gotta be some dead stuff around here somewhere..

jimmeh

May 20, 2010
London
So it arrived, along with a handful of new paracord and a peanut lighter!

I whipped up a quick lanyard from 550 cord, half grey half olive. It feels great weight wise, seems to cut reasonably well out of the box (fine on paper edges..), i'm yet to consider sharpening it .. mainly for fear of ruining the blade. Been stuck indoors all weekend with life admin and a broken car, Looking forward to taking it outside! :)

knife.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE