Tomato glut

Acorn62

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2009
Oxfordshire
This year Mrs Acorn's tomato plants have gone bananas (not literally as that would be mad...). :confused:
We are heading for a massive glut and are now planning ways to preserve them aside from the usual ketchup and chutneys (neither of which are very popular with the Acorn clan).
Our first thoughts were to drying/roasting and then preserving in olive oil, passata [sp] etc..
Any other good ideas - one less popular of mine was to cover them in 40% vodka like we do hedgerow fruit and have bloody mary on tap for xmyth...... had to can that one for the time being (now canning there's a thought..):D

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
You are lucky!
Our toms are ravaged by blossom end rot.
Not from watering problems but a lack of calcium. They are not recovering either. we have lost at least two thirds of the crop already and we are debating about just pulling them this year *sigh*
alan

Acorn62

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2009
Oxfordshire
Aw that's not good. When we lived in Cheshire the only really successful things were potatoes and runner beans, the toms never did well no matter what we tried.... Back here down South now and the reverse is becoming apparent; the toms are great but not a single runner, late crop potatoes so we don't know about them yet. Still, in compensations we are surrounded by rampant wild strawberries so the strawbvodka is looking good.....
Acorn

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
This year Mrs Acorn's tomato plants have gone bananas :D

I think it's to do with the weather this year, Acorn. I found coconuts growing on a gooseberry bush just a couple of weeks ago.

Try halving the toms and scooping out the seed-bed then roast them in a very gentle heat for an hour or so. Salt them and leave them out for 24 hours on a grill (so the fluid can drain away) until they're starting to dry out a bit, sprinkle with red balsamic and leave to marinade before potting them up and topping with olive oil.

You can also sun dry them, but I tried that once and eventually had to give up. It think that requires a lot of knowledge and optimum conditions.

Cheers.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
my mums tom's look pretty good, she's also got some fantastic corgettes and her peppers and chilli's are really coming along, my dad managed to almost kill her rhubarb and her broccoli has bolted, otherwise looking like a good crop, cheshire has really been odd for weather this year.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Puree them up with some garlic and herbs, then freeze them. Ready-made basis for spag-bol, chilli, or even pizza topping, whenever you want it.

tinkerer

Forager
Mar 11, 2010
bournemouth
saw raymond blanc making "essence of tomato "on telly a few weeks ago ?which was interesting, it involved putting them in a bag and hanging up to drain for a few days the essence can then be frozen ..cant remember how he did it will have to look it up i remember thinking i must try that when mine crop which is not far off.

ahh here is a link http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2130/essence-of-tomatoes- didnt notice it requires 20 kg of toms lol maybe not then...

furthermore ive got some little cherrie toms in a basket in the greenhouse, and i just leave them on the vine till they shrivel. they are amazing kinda like sun dried tomatos;)

Last edited:

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Lucky Git's! Picked my first one today (it tasted good). Very little on the plants. Most years get loads and give them away to family and the neighbours. A friend with a greenhouse has loads of green ones but none ripening. Good job Tesco's are cheap :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE