Toad in trough!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Darkwoodecho

Forager
Apr 11, 2012
United Kingdom
Feel a bit daft posting this .. but here goes.
I have an old concrete water trough on the patio, got a couple of lilies and an Iris in it, no fish, loads of snails, cleaned it out and gave it a thin this Autumn, since then I've had 2 resident toads, i know there are two, they're called little and large! they sit up at night on one of the pots which is only about 1/4" under water, when I go out they either sit there indignantly or seek shelter in the deeper water! I've seen them occasionally during the day so i think they are "resident".
Firstly I didn't think Toads lived in water and secondly should i worry about them now the cold nights are here, last couple of nights the water has frozen over, will they drown if they can't get air? should I clear the ice or is there something I can put over or in the water to help them, seems a bit daft to fuss about a couple of toads but we're getting on fine.
trough when i cleared it out, they sit top right.

T12copy.jpg

thanks
E

Darkwoodecho

Forager
Apr 11, 2012
United Kingdom
:lmao: No wind up!! just noticed the stone ones, LOL. they are definitely Toads, I can tell the difference and have had frogs in the trough before, we get a lot of toads and sometimes newts out on the brick weave when its wet in the evenings, I just thought it strange that they had actually taken to being in the trough, I'll just stop fretting and let them get on with it then.
Thanks

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE