tipi chimney

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

numpty

Feb 7, 2009
mansfield
Hi all . just looking for advice regards heatshielding where the chimney exits my tipi . Has any body used exaust tape or would i be better making a stainless steel heat shield .

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Perhaps call into a plumbing and central heating suppliers and get some heat/flame resistant {fibreglass?} material or a silicone heatshield.

Or google 'stoves' and look in the accessories or flue fittings section.

In my wall tent I use a piece of tin pop riveted to the canvas it works well.
c100e39d.jpg

In our tipi we allways use an open fire although a stove would keep it much warmer as then you can close the smoke hole. here in Canada you can buy an insert to sew in a canvas tent for your stove pipe

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
The heat shield on mine is a square of galvanised, bent into a tube and rivetted, about two feet long and 6 or 7 inch diameter. It serves a few purposes other than stopping the tent wall from cathing fire - it allows hot gasses to escape from the top of the tent carrying out smoke, Carbon Dioxide and Monoxide. This means that you have to allow fresh air in, not only to keep the fire going, but to keep you supplied with breathable air during the night. Simply wrapping the chimney in exaust insulation would reduce the venting action and lead to a dark cold and place for all occupants.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Hi all . just looking for advice regards heatshielding where the chimney exits my tipi . Has any body used exaust tape or would i be better making a stainless steel heat shield .

What kind of conditions will you be using the tipi in? in the depth of winter you will probably run the fire all night and the chimney will become very very hot, the mesh steel insulation pipe that you see being used on many lavvu stove chimneys provides needed ventilation and some confidence that your tent isn't going to be burnt.

Also think about how your chimney and its insulator will perform in very strong winds, the insulator has to be tough enough to not distort when there is a gale blowing outside and your chimney is violently shaking as much as thirty to forty centimeters back and forth.

:)

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
In my wall tent I use a piece of tin pop riveted to the canvas it works well.
c100e39d.jpg

In our tipi we allways use an open fire although a stove would keep it much warmer as then you can close the smoke hole. here in Canada you can buy an insert to sew in a canvas tent for your stove pipe

I will second this one works for me in a wall tent.:beerchug:

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
With my first and second tipi, I would use a Thru-The-Wall metal thimble from house construction to run my stove pipe up through the poles and smoke flaps. It is designed to pass a stove pipe through an interior wood wall safely. It is two pieces that screw/thread together from each side, and it has a 2 inch gap between it and the stove pipe passing through. The ends also have ventilation holes in them to allow free air flow. I would slip it onto the pipe, wire it in place between the tipi poles, and then close the smoke flaps tightly around that sleeve. There was never any problems.

Put some sort of Spark Arrestor on top of your stove pipe. I used coarse screening mesh. But DO IT. That pipe is right over the middle of your canvas. And burning sparks falling back down won't clear the canvas - unless there is enough wind. The first time I used a stove/pipe I ended up with several small burnt holes in my tipi. Lesson learned.

You could also use a section of double or triple wall insulated pipe for where it passes through the poles and canvas.

A wood stove inside a tipi does wonders for comfort. It removes almost all smoke, gives off great heat, and also removes the worry about an open fire. Fresh air flow was never a problem - from around the edges of the tipi cover, and around the door. But friends who packed fiberglass insulation between the cover and the liner did go and dig in a length of wide pipe coming from outside and popping up right in front of their wood stove. They also used the air pipe when using an open fire - because it helped the fire burn better and cut down on drafts coming up and over the liner.

As long as you have a 1 to 2 inch gap between your stove pipe and a metal "heat shield" you should be OK. But if you get that stove so hot that the pipe is turning red hot going up, then all bets are off.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

p.s. Who needs to get back to patching the recent tipi cover/liner I traded for, and cut some good poles.

This means that you have to allow fresh air in, not only to keep the fire going, but to keep you supplied with breathable air during the night. Simply wrapping the chimney in exaust insulation would reduce the venting action and lead to a dark cold and place for all occupants.

In the Canadian North we use tents with wood stoves a lot, a few people live all winter in them, we don't have fresh air vents. Think of a canvas tent as a huge air filter. Now if you were using some form of stove with no chimney that would be different. Or if it was made of plastic or some such material which doesn't breath. I have had my chimney red hot several time and the canvas around the tin just gets warm.
There was a comment made about wind, One of the greatest dangers is that the wind will move your chimney enough to lift it out/off the stove or apart at the joints, this obviously would be very bad.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Essexmonk,
can I ask if the chimney in your photo is single or twin wall?
I kind of understand your comments, and maybe a free-flow of air through a tent wouldn't work in the Canadien winter, but I like the safe feeling of breathing fresh air during the night.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Essexmonk,
can I ask if the chimney in your photo is single or twin wall?
I kind of understand your comments, and maybe a free-flow of air through a tent wouldn't work in the Canadien winter, but I like the safe feeling of breathing fresh air during the night.

ATB

Ogri the trog

My stove pipe is single wall 6" pipe the damper is about 16" below the roof. I have never seen double wall pipe used in a tent here in Canada although they are common in houses. My friends and I also put a tin "shield" around our stove with an air space under it this get the air moving in the tent and cuts down on the radiant heat effect (Hot front cold back)

numpty

Feb 7, 2009
mansfield
Thanks to all plenty of food for thought . My tipi is a soulpad tribe 5000 5metres wide 3.5 high canvas with sewn in ground sheet . plenty of ventilation around the entrance. the stove im using is a Great Northern camp stove . Weve used it with my landrover and a tarp off the back heat goes in smoke up and out great
Ive had to obiviosly get a taller chimney but having a metal stockist in the family has its uses . Ive fitted a spark arrester 1cm wire mesh with hose clamp to keep in place .
I may see about using silicone fabric under the stove to protect ground sheet from stray embers when louding . just need to find a supplier ?
regards high wind ive found some exaust type clamps with wires and clips so is should be able to guy the chimney for a little peace of mind .
Thanks to all I'll post finished chimeny and pic's hope fully youve all save me from making exspensive mistakes (burn holes in a new tipi not the best start )

Great looking tent! I really like it (read I want one :) ) I wouldn't hesitate to put a commercially made insert in like the one Oblio13 has. If you do a search for "Stove Jack" you should find them for sale,
I have a traditional tipi, 17 poles, most of them 24' long its nice but not nearly as practical as the modern one,
cc1b1922.jpg

the taller lady has the further tipi and the short one is my wife in front of ours

numpty

Feb 7, 2009
mansfield
Hi Mike Soulpad tipi is well made and at a fraction of the price of the tentipis etc .Ive only spent 1 night in it so far but its a big space and very cold with out a stove . Hoping to have it all set up this week ready for kids being off school next week . I looked at there stove and chimney but the price to put the chimney out the top just staggerd me and allready owning a stove making my own chimney seems like the most cost affective answer . I'll do a review when weave used it for real .

Hi,
I'm Annie from Oregon (yes, another Yank) and I'm new to this forum. I'm 57, female, grandmother, who loves camping, hiking, trekking, hammocking and primitive skills.

I lived in a tipi for several seasons many moons ago. I used my shepherder's stove in my 18' tipi, right in the center, with about 4 foot of pipe. The smoke went straight up the smoke hole, which is what it is made for. It was plenty warm.

I'm not sure why you want to put a hole in your tipi wall?

D

DrSin

Hi numpty et all,

In my Yurt we have a 6inch rubber heat shield that some twin wall flue pipe I picked up from the dump fits through perfectly, I got the shield from builders/plumbers supplies, I believe most stock it.
Hope this helps

Rowan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE