Tinned delights (for rik_uk3)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Thats a great site Shewie, and I've tried many of the things shown. I got some Yoders canned bacon off a mate in the States, not as bad as it sounds. The fish balls are much the same as Gefilte Fish you can get in most Jewish deli's, canned chicken luncheon meat was in B&M's last year, that was pretty bad. Frogs legs and snails are easy to get. I still have a size 10 can of freeze dried pork chops, they make a good stew, again off another mate in the States (he also sends things like grits, twinkie bars, Hersey + peanut butter bars, canned cheese filled hot dog sausages).

I put up a link to the jellied eels just on another thread. I love Chinese supermarkets, the joy of opening a tin to see whats in it :) Roll on Saturday.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The canned whole chicken was not uncommon in UK supermarkets at one time and I remember buying them for hill waking camps in the 70's, 'Epiqure' brand IIRC. The whole chicken was crammed in a tall can packed with jelly which melted when heated and if you added water and fresh spuds/carrots it made a great winter meal snow camping in Snowdonia :) Happy days.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I think if I could cut the lid and just empty in the pot with out seeing it then I'd give it ago. Still a big NEGATORY Rubber Ducky on the cheese burger though.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I haven't eaten pork brains since I was a kid (pre school) Back then I would eat anything Daddy ate and he liked brains and eggs. BTW those of you who have eaten them; how did you eat them? As I said over here they are scrambled in eggs (at least for the very few people who do eat them)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
My dad was quite old when he fathered me, 44 years old born in 1910 so he grew up on a Victorian / WW1 diet and he would cook things like pigs trotters with mushy peas or steamed lambs brains on toast, boiled Ox tongues we would skin and roll at home, make brawn from pigs heads etc all of which were very nice. The last brains I ate were in Cyprus when I ordered the special of the day in a locals cafe and it was half a lambs head baked in the oven served with meat juices and rice; the locals gave me a cheer when I finished lol (it was tasty).

About 07:00 tommorow I'll fry to seal some Ox tail and it will go in the slow cooker with wine and cook for about twelve hours. for the last couple of hours I'll add mushrooms, onions, garlic, Bay leaf and carrots ............stunning.

Holme

Mar 10, 2010
Sweden
The "Squid Herring" is the Swedish speciality - Surströmming, which basically is herring that has been fermented in wooden barrels. I wouldn´t recommend anyone to get near the stuff, but if You do, You will never forget the smell from hell.

It is a popular partytrick to introduce foreigners to this special dish, so beware if You are in the northern parts of Sweden in the Autumn and being invited to a party:)

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
About 07:00 tommorow I'll fry to seal some Ox tail and it will go in the slow cooker with wine and cook for about twelve hours. for the last couple of hours I'll add mushrooms, onions, garlic, Bay leaf and carrots ............stunning.

OK, Thats proper food Rik. One of my favorites.

May 18, 2011
Scotland
The "Squid Herring" is the Swedish speciality - Surströmming, which basically is herring that has been fermented in wooden barrels. I wouldn´t recommend anyone to get near the stuff, but if You do, You will never forget the smell from hell.

It is a popular partytrick to introduce foreigners to this special dish, so beware if You are in the northern parts of Sweden in the Autumn and being invited to a party:)

Think that what i was given when on an 8 week trek by some really nice people i met.

It wasn't that bad but i offered them some real haggis and they wouldn't eat it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE