Tinder

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Are you the kind of person that it always on the lookout for a bit of tinder or are you the type that goes for a look when you are ready to light the fire?

Me, I'm always on the lookout for tinder!
:chill:

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
im in the middle.. i dont go on a "tinder hunt" but should i spot a prime spot of cramp balls or such like i will collect a few.. however the most of the time when i go to light a fire thats normally when i collect it.. :)

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Im always on the look out for tinder, my sass smock inside pocket has always got something in it, its got birch bark and all sorts of seed down in at the mo,when its full i take 2/3rds out and start again, keeping me in tinder gives the kids something to do when we go walking :naughty:

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
or are you the type that goes for a look when you are ready to light the fire?
Actually I'm the sort who gathers tinder/on the look out 'after' I've lit a fire to top up my tinder pouch, replacing whats been used.

:)
Ed

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Yep I make ED right there.

Having said that I use wet fire the most so generally I make mental notes of good places but dont gather for the sake of it.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I save the shavings from my inept attempts at woodcarving, have just fallen for charcloth and today just harvested my first load of cramp balls. I also use the odd log from my neighbour's woodpile (he knows) and make kindling from that which I keep in an old cotton bank bag in my sack.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
You can never have too much tinder! I'm always on the lookout for new supplies and extra possibilities. As well as natural tinders I like to carry char-cloth and vaseline soaked cotton wool. I've found you can get thru qiute a bit of tinder if conditions are less than ideal - i,e, most of the time!

Dave

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Kinda half and half too, on average. As i don't always bring my tinder pouch.

B

bombadil

beachlover said:
I save the shavings from my inept attempts at woodcarving, have just fallen for charcloth and today just harvested my first load of cramp balls. I also use the odd log from my neighbour's woodpile (he knows) and make kindling from that which I keep in an old cotton bank bag in my sack.
:rolmao: :rolmao: :rolmao:
Somone else with the same tinder bag as me!
What else do people use for thier tinder?

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
I learnt from my course teacher Gary that you should always collect fire starting materials when you come upon some. I can never pass by a birch tree without looking for scrapes of bark just asking to be peeled off...

As my sig says `luck favours those who prepare` and so id rather have loads on me than have to go look for it when it matters. Cos sods lore will have it that it will be wet even if you do find it :roll:

As a back up I will carry the usual lighter, wet fire, matches, candle stub, fire steel and strips of thin rubber in a tinder pouch so I shouldnt be without a fire :rolmao:

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
I collect it when I see it and not when I need it.
I like to keep a supply of as many different types as I can so I can experiment with the different types and mixes whenever possible.

I think collecting when you see it not when you need it counts for most things bushcrafty.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE