Tinder pouch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
I recently made one out of fish skin as it is waterproof. I sewed the skin, but the best would probably be to wring the skin off. It is also possible to use a bladder or pouch of some sort (urine bladder, hearth pouch, stomach etc.).

Torjus Gaaren

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
torjusg said:
I recently made one out of fish skin as it is waterproof. I sewed the skin, but the best would probably be to wring the skin off. It is also possible to use a bladder or pouch of some sort (urine bladder, hearth pouch, stomach etc.).

Torjus Gaaren

Torjus how did you tan the fish skin? I'm asking as i have started bark tanning a conger skin yesterday hopefully for a tinder pouch. Any info you think might be helpful will be appreciated. I was thinking of finishing it with birch tar which i got off Reaglar earlier this year.

:)

R-J

Forager
Jan 26, 2005
norwich
i use a freezer bag to keep all my essentials in. its effective, but somewhat unstylish.

like i say, it doesnt look that good (ok, it looks pretty naff) but it works until i can make my own one.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
As fish skin is watertight in itself I did not tan it, and I think that was common practice by the inuits as well. Just dried it, scraped off the remaining fat and pulled off the scales. This will leave you with a partly transparent product. I used pike as it has got quite thick skin.

You mention finishing it with birch tar. That may be a good idea for the seams on my pouch. Thank you.

Torjus Gaaren

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I bought a cheap and cheerful tobacco pouch off Ebay, got two pockets one on the front has my birch bark, it has a flap with a popper that closes over the pocket, the pocket on the back has a pack off waterproof matches and a spare firesteel, my other firesteel is attached to my belt.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE