Tilley X1074 pressure lantern.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Poking about the charity shops and low end antique places I picked this up for 15 quid as it looked in really good condition, just dirty.

imagejpg1_zps5da033aa.jpg

They guy chucked in two mantles, not sure they at the right ones, the packet says Bullfinch No. 1617, but I have spare Tilley ones anyway as I already have a lantern.

i know not every ones a fan of Tilleys but I've had no trouble with my other one so far and would like to get this one running sweet. Since I don't know it's history I'd like to change the seals etc. does anyone know of a cheaper source of the spares packs than this lot?

http://www.tilleylamp.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=46

Theres many sites discussing these contraptions but what's the best one with most idiot proof instructions? I supose I'd better get another preheated thingy as well.

cheers!

Tom

Tm

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Well it seams I have some washers in the 2oz baccy tin I sore the spare mantles in

imagejpg1_zpscb76f817.jpg

Do either of these packs go with this lantern? Part no. 125-1698 for lantern H.P.P.I. Or washer set NSN 6260991251698 ?

i must have picked them up on spec at some point.

atb

tom

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Thats Ross who owns the spiritburner site and pressure lamp sites, a knowledgeable chap but you can speak to Mike at basecamp (who also sponsors the spiritburner site).

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers folk, very useful info! Will put up a pic when its up and running again.

Found out the NSN stores package set I'd for a Bialadin ex army lantern I have. I suspect from how that behaved last time I had it out that it needs at least some of its washers changing. It's a bit leaky let us say.

atb

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Had a quiet day so cleaned up the lantern and checked the various washers and springs Much to my surprise they all seam sound, I still will get a set of spares, and another preheater.

imagejpg2_zps050e6284.jpg

Ill it a new mantle and give it a try tonight.

ATB and thanks again

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I couldn't resist it so had a go outside just now. No pressure at first until I tightened the filer/pump up. Lit fine ( very chuffed at this point ) then I noticed a very slow drip from the on off knob. Switched off , waited, then released the pressure from the tank.

so I need to get the right washers and springs set.

atb

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I so enjoyed sorting the Tilley I dug out the Ex army Vapalux M320 I sort of turned into a fireball a couple of years back, gave it a good clean, used the service pack I'd refound looking for bits for the other lamp and just fired her up in the front yard.

imagejpg1_zps9fabcdfb.jpg

Lit right first time, not bad for a 5er from a cadets stall at Bury Drill Hall back when they used to host militaria fairs. Should have bought the other ones they had. I suppose I better replace the spares pack and get extras for the Tilleys.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm not desperate tom - they last for ages. Hang on to 'em till we exchange some parcels - thanks though:)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cool!

After a bit more reading on the Internet I've managed to cure both Tilly's of the drip from the on/off/pricker knob. The rubber glands/ washers were fine but I needed to tighten the knurled cover over them with a pair of pliers, as tight as they would go and still be able to turn the knob. So I just need to get normal spares packs now. I was rather chuffed with all three hissing away on the back yard as it went dark.

atb

Tom

Mike_B

Tenderfoot
Dec 21, 2009
Perth, Scotland
Re your "drip", the knurled knob isn't really supposed to be tightened with a pliers - indeed, anything "knurled" is made that way so that you can grip it with fingers, not tools - there's a very small washer on the stem of the valve - very easy to replace and should be in your service-kit. One should do the job. The black valve knob should just pull off / push on, then you undo the cover and replace the seal.

Not too sure about the model designation - X1074? Loads of info on http://www.classicpressurelamps.com/forum/index.php? btw. Also a really good place to get help / advice. As to parts, I use Base Camp (as already suggested). Nice lamp for the price.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE