Tilley Lamp Identification ?!?!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cyberstretch

Dec 3, 2011
cambs
Hi there Bushcrafters

Have been browsing on here a while and alot of people seem very knowledegable about everything outdoors.

I am looking to get back into camping with my own family after the fun i had many years ago with my parents. As a person i like many things retro and as a result would like to incorporate that into my camping experience with some Tilley lamps. I am however a little comfused as to the different types of lamps and not sure of certain parts to order so was looking for some help from a Tilley Veteran ;)

I am aware of the X246 X246A and X246b and believe this is dictated by date and also the design of the metal frame (globe holder) and how it fits to the tank - am i correct ?

Would i be correct in thinking that the x246b frame screws to the tank with one nut as opposed to 4 individul bars screwed onto the tank forthe 246 & 246a

If this is the case then i am halfway there ;)

The issue then is which mantle do i purchase - ring or cord type ?

Finally, of the later frames that are held with one nut to the tank, I have noticed that one has an extra piece of metal around the glass (3 rings instead of 2) . Does this denote another model ????

I would really appreciate some help on this matter.

Thanks you all so kindly :)

cyberstretch

Dec 3, 2011
cambs
Just ordered an SP1 kit for my lamp.

The pump looks straight forward to replace but i am unsure as how i remove the internals of the control cock ??

Would i remove the gauze from the bottom and gain access there or do i have to undo the shaft that is screwed into the side (the on/off knob) ??

Hello all. My Tilley X246B lamp - I'm finding that the jet of paraffin is somewhat intermittent. I often have to close, open, close, open the valve and waggle it a bit before I'll get a jet of paraffin to the burner. What's that about? I need to replace the open/close thing?

Andrew

beezer

Forager
Oct 13, 2014
lockerbie
im new to tillies myself so i don't know much about them. you could get service pack 1 and fit the new bits, might not be the solution you need but would be a good start point.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE