Ti Meths burner £16

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Looking forward to hearing how it goes Paul, if it works then you can't grumble for that price.

Currently playing with one of Zeplhs' Fancee Feest stoves which has replaced my Mini Atomic

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Just picked up my burner and did a few tests

weight of original evernew burner

weight of clone

It was marked as 42g in the listing so bang on if a little heavier than the evernew

Dimensions - Fits in the Evernew DX stand so all good. Also fits in the trangia holder that came with my ti honey stove. Fuel capacity markings on the inside for 1 oz and 2oz and max fill (2oz is max fill.)

Burner test.

Now I already know my evernew pretty well and it will boil a 1.5l eagle kettle full of water on a 2oz fill. My eagle is down the garage at the bottom of my winter kit box so i dragged out my evernew 1.4 pot and put 500ml of cold tap water in. I added 25ml of boi ethanol via syringe to accurately measure. Put the burner in the dx stand, lit it and put the pot straight on. It took a while to bloom, perhaps 50 seconds but once it did it was every bit as ferrocious as the evernew.

the pot came to a rolling boil in 7 mins from sparking the meths. The same test with the evernew took 6 mins (DX stand and pot were allowed to fully cool between tests).

So, the issue seems to be that the burner takes a while to bloom but once going is pretty much similar to the original stove. The issue that gives me is this. If i am looking to buy an ultralight burner then its only for backpacking use where i will also have to carry my fuel. The fact that the evernew blooms instantly without priming means i will absolutely save in fuel weight and this makes it worth the extra in my view. If however you just fancy a bit of lightweight gucci titanium and are not bothered by carrying extra fuel to prime with then at £16 its a pretty good stove that will get the job done.

Neither stoves offer the ability to simmer but again they sort of assume you are backpacking and boiling water to rehydrate your rats or brew up. If you want to simmer buy a trangia or trangia clone.

Lastly, other forms of heating water and food are available including gas, parafin, petrol, other meths stoves, woodgas stoves, non woodgas stoves and open fires. You may rate these better than titanium burners and prefer heavy kit to UL kit. Good luck to you, this is just a test of two similar burners and in no way breaches you human rights to have a different opinion ;)

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Great stuff, thanks for the update, looks very good at that price, that extra 6 grams though... ;-)

"Lastly, other forms of heating water and food are available including gas, parafin, petrol, other meths stoves, woodgas stoves, non woodgas stoves and open fires. You may rate these better than titanium burners and prefer heavy kit to UL kit. Good luck to you, this is just a test of two similar burners and in no way breaches you human rights to have a different opinion"
:lmao:

basha

Forager
Aug 9, 2006
kent
Interesting comparison Paul, thanks for the test.

Apart from the logo stamped on the burner, can you spot any visual differences between the Evernew and the copy?
I wonder if Evernew are selling enough of these to make it worthwhile for the Chinese to copy....

The ebay vendor has had some unusual items in the past; I bought a titanium 'Westwind' type Trangia burner stand from him a couple of years ago; I have only seen them in aluminium.

Last edited:

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Visually there isnt a lot in it. I think the vents are a tiny bit bigger. Im guessing the ti is slightly thicker too and thats whats leading to the longer bloom time and additional weight.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
LOL, those aren't as cheap as three nails! :) Tempting though. I wonder if they would fit a 2mm blowpipe. ;)

I may actually have to buy one of these Ti stoves now.

I already have three of these on their way to me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5bev2C4xM1Y Trekka Solo

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121172812031?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

4 minutes to boil can't be bad.

I've just acquired some Aluminium Bud Light pint bottles to make some different stoves out of as well. Looks like I'm going to be experimenting with alcohol stoves for awhile. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7-4R9w6X4w How To Make A "Zero" Alcohol Stove

And this has got to be worth a go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oHHj2bzL5o Worlds lightest open-jet alcohol stove?

Last edited:

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Indeed not as cheap as nails but in keeping with the theme. Im not sure they would stand up to the heat either. ive had them on my wish list for ages but just never found a reason to justify them lol. ive made the trekka solo. It had issues with the cold pot conducting heat away from the stove and losing its oomff. Tetkoba is the stove daddy imho. Ive made a lot of his stuff and its very good. The tornado jet variants are incredibly powerful but thirsty too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE