Thursbitch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Corfe

Dec 13, 2011
Northern Ireland
Not quite sure if this is the right place for this, but I was wondering whether any members have ever visited the valley of Thursbitch in Cheshire? After reading Alan Garner's book about the place, and even more after reading the following:

http://alangarner.atspace.org/votd.html

I have a hankering to sleep out there, preferably in the darker half of the year. I have a mate who lives nearby, but is not an outdoor type at all, and after reading the book, all he's willing to do is drop me off at the lip of the so-called valley of the Demon! :p

BTW after reading about Cader Idris and its legends, I also slept out on the summit alone but alas in the morning came down neither mad, nor a poet...

Anyway, any input would be welcome on this score. :)

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
Not quite sure if this is the right place for this, but I was wondering whether any members have ever visited the valley of Thursbitch in Cheshire? After reading Alan Garner's book about the place, and even more after reading the following:

http://alangarner.atspace.org/votd.html

I have a hankering to sleep out there, preferably in the darker half of the year. I have a mate who lives nearby, but is not an outdoor type at all, and after reading the book, all he's willing to do is drop me off at the lip of the so-called valley of the Demon! :p

BTW after reading about Cader Idris and its legends, I also slept out on the summit alone but alas in the morning came down neither mad, nor a poet...

Anyway, any input would be welcome on this score. :)

has to be New Years Eve on Cadair Idris I believe

Dec 27, 2011
Milky Way
Hi Corfe,
1st post but long time lurker here…

I've walked around Thursbitch, stopping there for lunch one day in the broken down ruins of the farmhouse. It's a fantastic place to rest up.

I've also read Thursbitch by Alan Garner but found it almost impenetrable. Even though I didn't understand a word of it, it was still a very atmospheric read.
It was reading that book that piqued my interest in going down into the Thursbitch valley and having a nosey around. It's a really beautiful area generally and the valley is great, being sheltered from the wind that claw away at you up on the Cats Tor/Shining Tor ridge above.

Thursbitch is a place I would love to camp but I think permission would have to be sought from the local farmer.

Cheers

Corfe

Dec 13, 2011
Northern Ireland
Thanks mate - interested to hear that, and sorry for taking so long to get back to you on your post - I'd like to camp there in winter, and see if I can feel any vibes. I'm a bloody-minded atheist, but I do believe in some things, and Garner's description of the valley and the happenings in it had me hooked.

Corfe

Dec 13, 2011
Northern Ireland
In old English, Thursbitch means 'Valley of the Demon.' Possibly because it had a spring sprouting out of an overhang or cave, which is where demons were supposed to lurk. It's an odd place, by all accounts.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE