Three wonky carving stools

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
As I live in the middle of a big city, good stumps to carve on are difficult to come by. I had only one, and it was on the small side. However, as some of my friends have taken an interest in carving recently I was in need of more stumps so we could rough out blanks at the same time. I therefore took a deep breath and sacrificed my choppingblock to make it into three stools. I`m happy I did, because these are both more stable and more silent than the block was. Here are some pictures:

2013-04-13+14.48.09.jpg

The SFA for scale: the stools are small, but good enough to kneel by and carve.

2013-04-13+14.49.00.jpg

I long for the day that I`ll be no longer city-bound and can get a little garden to carve in. Untill then I just have to hope that I do not ask too much of my neighbours nerves...

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
very generous of you to do that two socks, im sure your friends will thank you. :) and the stools will be plenty good enough for light batoning, roughing out and to use as a carving surface. dont forget to post up some of your work! :D just out of interest is that middle ones legs sycamore?

Last edited:

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Thanks guys.

@Elen:
They aren`t so difficult to do. I drilled three holes of 20mm, each hole obviously at a third of the circel, so 120 degrees apart. Then I made the legs to fit snug into these holes. With my knife I made a small split in the leg where it would go in the hole, and made a small wedge to put in this split. Then I hammered the leg+wedge into the hole like this:
Stool-lock.png

The wedge pushes the leg open, and this locks the thing in place. It feels like they won`t ever come out again. (excuse my horrible MS-paint-skills)

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Thanks guys.

@Ellen:
They aren`t so difficult to do. I drilled three holes of 20mm, each hole obviously at a third of the circel, so 120 degrees apart. Then I made the legs to fit snug into these holes. With my knife I made a small split in the leg where it would go in the hole, and made a small wedge to put in this split. Then I hammered the leg+wedge into the hole like this:
Stool-lock.png

The wedge pushes the leg open, and this locks the thing in place. It feels like they won`t ever come out again. (excuse my horrible MS-paint-skills)

Fox or foxed wedges is how I know that method - a swine if you do want to remove the leg for repair or replacement! I think making a new hole might be easier than getting one of those out again!

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
@Woodspirits: I notice that I forgot to answer your question: The wood I gathered quite a while back already, but I do think it was sycamore. I wasn`t all too sure back then either, as I found it without any leaves on it and my bark-id skills are quite poor...

I made the first stool last week, and made some spoons on it during the week to try it and to see if it would be worth it making two more. Here are some pictures. All three are in cherrywood. Lovely to carve. I had never tried it before because I never find any in the parks untill recently.

2013-04-14+12.13.27.jpg

2013-04-14+12.13.46.jpg

2013-04-14+12.14.31.jpg

I am quite happy with the large one. On the middle one I accidentally cut into the rim of the bowl, and I had to remove quite some wood to remove the scar. It messed up the shape I wanted to achieve a bit, but I still kind of like it. The small one is my first attempt in doing something more ornamental. One day I hope I have the courage to start a love-spoon...

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
They're lovely.:You_Rock_
I've been wanting to make a similar sort of stool for a while now.

Another one of those jobs I'll get round to eventually... :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE