Three Pole Cook Set

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
While preparing for our kayak camping trip last month, the thought occured to me that I would like to take along my iron tripod for use in cooking over the fire. The second thought was ..."its too large and too heavy". The third thought was..."why not take just the chain and hook and cut some poles on site to serve as legs...?"

So, thats what I did, except with some new innovations.

With two metal rings, two S hooks, the chain and three wooden poles, I am able to set it up in the following configurations.

1 - Cross Bar. Note that the ring can be slid along the bar and the height of the pot can be altered to adjust cooking temperature.

ed0c2219.jpg

2 - Tripod. This is rock solid.

ed0c2174.jpg

3 - With the addition of a fourth pole I can make this crane contraption.

ed0c20c9.jpg

The rings, chain and hooks all pack into a small bag that easily fits into a jacket pocket. With much longer poles, I suppose one could also use the ring to fashion a teepee shelter.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Number two, the tripod is my favourite too. I carry a 2m length of fine brass chain in my pack always. The length of the chain means that I can use it to bind the top of the tripod securely and still have plenty for pot hanging. I made a small brass hook with a ring on the back for each end and they are now permanently attached to the chain so it's only a matter of finding a few suitable sticks or even an overhanging branch and I can get the billy over the fire with complete control.

I have been thinking that I might buy a length of brass plate(?) chain for the job as this wiould still be plenty strong enough but would cut down a little on the weight. The chain I am thinking of is that stuff made of thin brass sheet stamped into a figure "8" type shape then all the little "8's" are bent in half and linked together.

Sep 11, 2006
Ireland
Looks great, where do you guys get the cast iron pots and skillets. impossible to find usable new material like this here in Ireland. These cast iron pots for fire cooking and baking are at the top of my wish list at the moment.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE