Three days in the Ozarks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
A friend who owns quite a lot of land in Missouri, a couple miles from Daniel Boone's last home, lets me hunt there. Small streams and rolling hills with predominantly cedar, oak and hickory trees. Just spent three days without seeing another person. Spent most of it on a ridge that would funnel the way deer traveled.

Found a good bunch of oyster mushrooms, and shot a nice buck:

IMG_1356.jpg

Came across some tracks that I think are cougar. For reference, my phone is 3.7 inches long.

IMG_1352.jpg

Anyway, it's almost a spiritual thing to hunt in a place where I'm sure Daniel Boone hunted.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
that's a magnificent looking animal there mate, i could do with that to fill my freezer!

is that a typical sized cougar track? any idea what size of beast would've made it? looks pretty scarey when you live in a country where the biggest native carnivore is a badger!

thanks for posting

stuart

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
that's a magnificent looking animal there mate, i could do with that to fill my freezer!

is that a typical sized cougar track? any idea what size of beast would've made it? looks pretty scarey when you live in a country where the biggest native carnivore is a badger!

thanks for posting

stuart

What about all us (CANNIBALS ! ):yikes::viking::lmao:
It truly is a magnificent beast , baggsy the antlers ! ;);)

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Outstanding old gray faced buck! Nice work Oblio13! I grew up in Boone's Kentucky stomping grounds. Nice rifle and scope combo.

PM sent.

Gordy

Last edited:

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
... is that a typical sized cougar track? ...

That is a typical size for a cougar track, but after reviewing a link sent by Gordy (thanks) and comparing it to my Great Dane's, I think it's a canid track. I talked to the landowner about it, and he says he is sure he saw a wolf one morning. Not sure how much stock to put in that, because he's not an outdoorsy type, and his wife who was with him at the time thinks the creature was a bear. My Great Dane is a lean 150 pounds, and his tracks are not that large.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE