This bone sheath

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I find it quite difficult to find adequate leather sheaths here ... at least within the range of affordability.

My own leather work is only OK, if that. So, I tend to avoid. But the other day I found this picture of an open structure bone sheath for a large leuku.

I like it. Maybe bone won't be the way to go for me, but cedar, cedar trees we got in heaps.

Has anyone ever tried this kind of sheath, in any material? Are there any obvious pitfalls to watch out for in construction? Any pics?:)

Old-Leuku.jpg

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I like it. Maybe bone won't be the way to go for me, but cedar, cedar trees we got in heaps.
I think the ones I have seen were made of antler but bone is of course a possible material. Cedar might be a bit soft material, I would try something stronger and harder wood.

Finnish National Museum has lots of variations with pics available on their pages.

Reactions: Billy-o

VaughnT

Forager
Oct 23, 2013
Lost in South Carolina
Wood sheaths are quite common around the world. A lot of the leather sheaths that we see from way back in the day are actually leather over a wooden core.

I think the important thing would be to make the wood sheath solid rather than open-sided like that if the cedar is particularly soft. You wouldn't want to go through all that work only to have the spindly side snap when you moved wrong.

Definitely well within the realm of serviceability, imo.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE